1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

coal fired Super Dozer???!!

Discussion in 'Dozers' started by mitch504, Jan 3, 2013.

1. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

On the front cover of this month's contractor's hotline there is an ad for the "SD600TX Super Dozer". This thing looks like a diesel locomotive on 8 tracks w/ a blade on the front and a ripper on the back. It supposedly runs on micronized coal at 10% of the cost of diesel.

Here is a link to the online version of the magazine:

http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/b004946a#/b004946a/1

My guess is, this is an idea somebody has, that they are trying to attract investors or customers for.

Have any of you heard anything about this?

2. 02Dmax

02Dmax Senior Member

Never heard of it, definitely a mine machine if it ever comes to pass.

3. alco

alco Senior Member

Maybe it's the same group that's trying to build the ETF trucks.......just sounds to me like something they might dream up.

4. oldirt

oldirt Senior Member

saw that too, looked around a lot but there is no info to be found I guess..

5. caterpillarmech

caterpillarmech Senior Member

Field Service Supervisor
    I'm going to say no way! Even in mining you still have to have the support to keep it going. Who the hell is going to work on it? and it looks like an awkward desighn.

6. oldirt

oldirt Senior Member

it would sure be tough to set upright again if it tipped over!

7. Knocker of rock

Knocker of rock Well-Known Member

8. JGS Parts

JGS Parts Senior Member

Owner JGS Machinery
    I want to see you sift it and then i want too see who would pay the price tag for it ? and come on think about it the turning and everything on it would be nuts maybe for the oil sands in canada or something like that. but i could see no use for it 600tons? for a dozer and 8 sets of undercarriage to replace???

9. alco

alco Senior Member

The conditions in the oilsands dictate that a machine has to be quite agile. This thing, would not be even remotely close to agile. It would simply sink, or get bogged down and stuck at every turn.

10. JGS Parts

JGS Parts Senior Member

Owner JGS Machinery
    so in that case i guess the machine seems like a useless bit of gear as i hounestly cant see where it would have a big advantage over anything on the market.

11. alco

alco Senior Member

I agree, I can't personally see any benefit to a machine like this. However, if someone could come up with a practical use for it, I'd love to hear it.

12. Gavin84w

Gavin84w Senior Member

13. .RC.

.RC. Well-Known Member

I think there is a pretty good reason why dozers are stuck at around the 1000hp mark while others like dump trucks get bigger and bigger and bigger...

14. OzDozer

OzDozer Senior Member

Semi-Retired ..
    This kind of lends a whole new meaning to the saying, when your buddy yells out - "pour the coal on, man!!" :D :falldownlaugh

Looks to me like it's merely a prototyping exercise to see if some company might be interested in the idea. AFAIC, it's got all the attractiveness of a lead balloon.
    You get these crazy ideas appear on a regular basis - and they usually die and disappear, as quickly as they appear.
    Gas turbines have been advocated as replacements for IC engines since the 1950's - but no-one has ever got around the dreadful thirst of gas turbines.

I guess we need these "creative" guys with dreams and schemes in their heads - but those designs have to be tempered with a whole dose of what works and what is acheiveable - and more importantly - what is a real advance on current designs.

Here's a link to a designer guy, Jon Pope, who is pretty good on producing wild design ideas. He must smoke some good stuff. :D

http://www.coroflot.com/jonpope/super-dozer-5000

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  15. DPete

DPete Senior Member

Looks like a locomotive simular to the one Western had back in the 60's except it was on rubber and no ripper

16. ohiofleet

ohiofleet Well-Known Member

the man that invented the diesel desighed it to run on coal so they are going to make it do what it was made for

17. OzDozer

OzDozer Senior Member

Semi-Retired ..
    Hmm .. IMO, that statement is not historically correct. Yes, Rudolf Diesel did attempt to build a compression ignition engine using powdered coal dust.
    However, the engine exploded when it was started - and all subsequent attempts at injecting coal dust as fuel, failed. Diesel rapidly dropped the idea, and went over to oil.
    Thus, no engine was ever produced that actually RAN on coal dust.

The history of fuel injection makes for interesting reading. The British pioneered common rail injection in 1913, and utilised injection pressures of 5000psi, a remarkable achievement for that era.

http://www.dieselduck.net/historical/05 documents/History of fuel injection.pdf

18. Dualie

Dualie Senior Member

the only thing i see is the worlds craziest kill dozer. The thing is unwieldy for anything else.

19. 61BG

61BG Well-Known Member

Actually, Rudolph Diesel's engine used peanut oil as the fuel.