• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cmark's random photo thread

skyking1

If one only knew the total amount of incidents each year from wrong use of a multiplier.
The common table saw-30,000 plus incidents a year from Kick Back and major limb loss.
Radial arm saw-wrong blade and have a tendency to climb the cut-No one sells a radial arm
saw anymore IIRC.
Sears would buy the motor head back to get it out of the world. They sold a ton of those saws.
I had one from FIL, and one day I was digging in a new water line and the customer had a sears radial arm saw similar to mine in a nice shop.
Bingo!
I asked him if he wanted another, and he was thrilled to get it and I was happy to have it gone. When I got the plane out of the way I called him up and he came and got it. That was a win-win.
One thing you can do with them is to pull the motor, and build an adapter plate for a router. Now you have a great tool for cutting dados in shelves, much faster than setting up a dado blade on the table saw and you can tool it up nice and make precision shelf sides. You can set up a stop system on the fence.

Camshawn

Occupation
retired
I will look at adapting a router to the radial arm saw stuffed back in a corner that I will not use anymore. Cam

joe--h

Doug, all they want is your email and a user name. They send no spam and it's a great site full of old farts who know more about RAS than you can imagine.

Joe H

joe--h

I'm sure there are hundreds of groups for that. I've been looking at a couple on facebook of RVs for sale in TX and AZ. Need a big bumper pull to live in while I build a house next year. Did it once before and it's way cheaper than renting a place local, even though their miserable to live in.

Joe H

joe--h

Did it in Utah, that 1" of insulation is not quite enough. Winter or summer.

But it's way better being on site & looks like rent in the area I'm going is minimum of $1500 month now so won't take long to make a trailer a break even investment. And when we finished it made a nice guest house, not too comfortable but for a guest a week was good. And then they left.

Joe H

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Did it in Utah, that 1" of insulation is not quite enough. Winter or summer.

But it's way better being on site & looks like rent in the area I'm going is minimum of $1500 month now so won't take long to make a trailer a break even investment. And when we finished it made a nice guest house, not too comfortable but for a guest a week was good. And then they left.

Joe H
I did it in 35 below. Wasn't always easy but it was an alright experience. That said, I wouldn't do it again. Not at those temperatures anyways.

donkey doctor

Occupation
retired
I did it in 35 below. Wasn't always easy but it was an alright experience. That said, I wouldn't do it again. Not at those temperatures anyways.
I did also. Early 60s in Merritt BC. Minus 30 in a travel trailer was brutal. One winter was enough for me. Come spring I couldn't get back to Vancouver Island fast enough. Born here, raised here, travelled to over 90 countries and never found another place I'd rather live. Got to say some are pretty close tho. Vietnam springs to mind. d.d.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I did also. Early 60s in Merritt BC. Minus 30 in a travel trailer was brutal. One winter was enough for me. Come spring I couldn't get back to Vancouver Island fast enough. Born here, raised here, travelled to over 90 countries and never found another place I'd rather live. Got to say some are pretty close tho. Vietnam springs to mind. d.d.
Never been to the Island before. I'd love to move back to BC but the cost of living in the interior has gotten crazy.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I left BC the day after I finished high school. Fully intended to ride the oil boom in Alberta to the bust and then come back. Still hasn't happened. The flat lands have grown on me over the years. Kinda like the flat, straight highways and being able to see 20 kilometers in every direction.

Bumpsteer

Occupation
Mechanical designer
At one time Sears would pay $100 for the motor if you sent it back. Ended long ago I believe.

Only Sears saws, not all RAS.

Joe H

Yes.

Imo Sears destroyed the ras market with their junk saws.
I have (and use) 2 DeWalt GE 16" radial arm saws.......no comparrison (other than the name) to a homeowner saw.

Ed