• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cmark's random photo thread

Cmark

Cmark, do you have your own shop where you do machining? Do you have a bunch of employee's? Your work is impeccable!

Thanks for the compliment. Yes, I have my own shop with medium size lathe, milling, welding, component rebuild facilities. In the past I've had 5 employees, a couple of apprentices and some subcontractors to help out at busy times. I've scaled back a bit now though.

Welder Dave

Very impressive the scope of work you do and in the quality of repairs. I have a slow hyd. leak and am dreading that I'll probably have to pull the belly pan again. The swing pivot repair I did with a boring head in a drill press is working great though.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
If it's only 4 bolts to remove the counter weight and you gain that much access if doesn't seem that bad.
Provided you have another machine available close by with the capacity to lift the 4-ton counterweight I'd agree with you, but on how many small construction sites might something like this be the only machine operating.?

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Like Nige says the worst bit is smaller machines like this are used in the main on smaller sites on their own or with other smaller equipment, an idea would simply be to make it either hinge or demountable on a ram so at least it's self-sustainable

Welder Dave

Yeah, you'd need a good sized loader or something else to safely lift an 8000lb. counterweight. You'd also need a helper. Machines like that should come with a way to more easily remove or at least move the counterweight out of the way. Hyd. or an electric winch maybe that holds it in place and then a few bolts that could be tightened with a 600 ft./lbs. torque wrench.

Cmark

I wonder what kind of damage can happen when people put those weights back on and don't torque up the bolts properly.

Surprisingly enough on the one I had to deal with one time, only paint damage. Found the bolts, cleaned the holes out and put it back on. Hyundai 330 from memory, fresh from the dealer.