• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cmark's random photo thread

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Nice to know the damage was human caused. I'd hate to think of some steel eating virus to have to contend with in addition to the human eating ones:)

Tenwheeler

Firstly, as most of you know, we work mainly on Cat equipment. Now whatever anyone says about Cat's service or prices, the Cat parts system is second to none. With SIS on the laptops in the service trucks, we can look up part numbers and get P&A in minutes. I've tried dealing with the others, Komatsu, Kobelco, Hyundai etc. and it can take an hour just for someone to phone you back and then they will usually want to email you a picture to confirm they are talking about the right thing before they order it, even if it's available. Typically, if a customer wants us to work on anything other than Cat I will explain the foreseeable issues before we start and if possible, get them to organise their own parts.

The issue of getting parts to the machine is dictated by the needs of the customer. If a machine is down and parts are available at the local depot, and the customer wants it, we will happily drive to collect them. In the area we usually work it should be a round trip of 1 to 4 hours maximum. We charge the travel time at a lesser hourly rate, plus mileage. If parts aren't local, 90% of time they're available next day by 9:00 am and in that case, yes, we will try and look at another job in the meantime.

The key to keeping customers happy is communication. If you can only spend a couple of hours on a job, let them know your circumstances before you start. If you're in the middle of a 3 day rebuild and you get a call for a breakdown, explain exactly the situation to both parties. I don't know what it's like in your area but most business owners I know won't have a problem with you leaving their job for an urgent breakdown for a little while, and explain to customer B before you start that you can't be all day on his breakdown.

Minimising lost-and-downtime in a field service based business is relatively easy, but needs discipline. As much admin work as possible relating to a job should be done on site in chargeable time. You have to be tough on yourself and your employees. A lot of guys will want to get back to the depot ASAP and sit down with a coffee and do the paperwork. Not in my business. Parts ordering, writing service reports, filling out oil-sample forms, any admin for the job needs to be done before leaving site. Even if the site is closing and you get kicked out, park on the street outside and do it. As long as it's related to the job at hand, it's totally justifiable to put it all on the bill in my opinion. On the flip side, if you do have to break off to make phone calls relating to something else, make sure you document it and, most importantly, make a point of telling the customer that you've taken a half-hour or whatever off his bill. Most of the time they won't even be aware of it but they will be impressed by your honesty. Besides, you never know who is watching you through the office windows.
While I do not work mainly on Cat equipment and you are on the other side of the big fish pond Cat parts service here is most excellent. Your statements on how you deal with customers has helped me. While I have a lot of work going away I have been more realistic the stress relief is great.
Just hope customers respect that and come back from wherever they went.

Tenwheeler

Nice to know the damage was human caused. I'd hate to think of some steel eating virus to have to contend with in addition to the human eating ones:)
While you make jokes about that I have seen that in crankshaft bearings on an an old John Deere 2 cylinder, also a 2424 IHC. They had been parked for many years. Looked like termites had been there. Read up on that and compounds in old motor oil and other contaminants can be acidic at times.
No virus and nothing new.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
CMark that's an interesting 963 as it has what looks like a landfill 4n1 bucket on the front however it appears the bucket also has hooks for slip on forks. Can't imagine how the forks would work with the trash bucket.

Our 953 has the same weld on hooks on the bucket for slip on forks which has a similar bend on the left side hook as your 963..:p

IMG_2782.jpeg

On further look that 963 doesn't have trash pads or striker bars so it wouldn't be a proper landfill arrangement from Cat. That coupled with the fork hooks on the bucket has me scratching my hairless head.:D

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I'm wondering about the track loader as well. I see a bar with a chain apparently holding something up plus an oily final drive cover. Some transmission issues maybe?

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
On second look is that a single hook on the bucket for pulling out chained loads at the landfill?

Cmark

It is actually an honest-to-god 963C with the factory 1733790 waste handler arrangement. The chopper pads and striker bars were always an additional attachment on landfill machines.

The bucket is an extreme service 5Q7746 which is in very good condition, all things considered. It has the full compliment of hooks which, judging by the paint, look to have been welded on possibly by a dealer. The trash guard is a customer addition.

Cmark

The story is the 963C was purchased several years ago broken down. The owner has someone pull the pumps and motors for repair who, for whatever reason couldn't finish the job. It has been sat since then until he got in touch with me.
As it stands, the gantry affair you can see is supporting the back of the engine. The pumps, pump drive box and motors are on pallets. Several more buckets and boxes of bits accompany it. The main problem is it has been sat out in the weather. Hoses are deteriorating and we think that contamination from whatever went wrong with the pumps has gone through the system, plus the hydraulic tank cap was missing.
It's a project....

I'll try and post a few more photos here but HEF gets so slow sometimes that it's painful to use. I'll probably put most pics on instagram and maybe youtube.