• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clutch Question

still learn'n

2004 Kenworth T300 3126 Kitty Cat with 6spd tranny
When it is cold in the morning it was slipping when taking out from being stopped every once in a while but always. It didn't have any free play in the pedal so I adjusted that so now there is around an inch. My question is is that all I should do for now or is there something else? Where is the clutch brake on this clutch? IMG_20180724_102432286.jpg IMG_20180724_102422508.jpg IMG_20180724_102415649.jpg IMG_20180724_102408940.jpg

GregsHD

Occupation
Self Employed HD Mechanic
A clutch brake is not necessary on a small transmission (not enough rotating mass) the adjustment is all you can do, you're looking for an 1/8 inch between the release fingers and the release bearing.

If it's still slipping, time for a clutch..

The driver said it was slipping in low gear? But not when pulling in 6th?o_O

still learn'n

It's in my service truck and the engine would just rev up a little in 2nd or 3rd gear when I was taking out from an intersection I didn't notice it otherwise

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
An inch of pedal free play is typically good for most truck transmissions. You for sure don't want it to have zero free play, that's when you'll smoke a good clutch. You need to teach this to all your drivers, they're the ones who have their foot on the pedal and should know it's time to adjust it.

still learn'n

An inch of pedal free play is typically good for most truck transmissions. You for sure don't want it to have zero free play, that's when you'll smoke a good clutch. You need to teach this to all your drivers, they're the ones who have their foot on the pedal and should know it's time to adjust it.

That's what I wondered was the problem here so I adjusted it and now I will see what happens. I have been told this transmission needs to be clutched and I have tried not to press the clutch pedal down all the way cause I thought it had a couchc brake but now I found out it don't do that's probably not a problem with this one.

Thanks for the replies