• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clutch Brake Replacement

T_Gunn

I am in the middle of replacing the clutch brake in my old IH single axle dump truck and am having an awful time removing the old clutch brake with the transmission in the truck. I have read that the most common ways of removing it are to use a cutting torch or an air chisel. I don't want to use a cutting torch because there is so much old grease and oil on the truck that I am worried about the flames while cutting and then starting a fire. I am also leery of overshooting with the cutting torch and gouging the shaft. For these reasons, I have started with the air chisel but am making almost no progress with it after getting about 1/4" into the clutch brake. I am using a flat chisel attachment with a cheapo Princess Auto (same as HF) hammer. What is the best air chisel to use for this? Will I make better progress with a larger, better quality air hammer? What are the best brands?

Thanks in advance for any help, T

51kw

Go with the torch. Just cover yourself as best you can. It doesnt take much to chop them in half. Aim downwords away from input shaft. If you do get a small grease fire smother it with a shop rag.

dixie123

Occupation
mechanic
what i do is use two 1/8th square pieces stock to hold brake in place . put one piece in front and one behind. push and hold clutch down. then chisel it . this will keep it from slipping.