• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clumpy dirt clods

cw4Bray

Tilling a garden in the Dakotas, maybe loam / silt / clay ? I don't know. How do I prevent clumps ? Even if I make 10 passes with the tiller, I've still got rock hard clods. I'm using an old JD 112 with a belt drive 40" tiller. What if I wait until the ground drys out more before tilling ? The soil produces fantastic potatoes, corn, tomatoes and cucumbers.

Jonas302

Did you plow all the snow off (; Way to early to till a garden when its wet not only it wont till well put it makes hard compaction below the tines

cw4Bray

Jonas,
Wait til you see what we're getting tomorrow, then Tuesday forecast much worse !!! That's on top of the 50" still on the ground.
So you're saying it needs to be dry ? That's not going to happen because I'm in the flood plain and the garden needs to be started before June or July.

Delmer

If a soil has enough organic matter, you can till it whenever you want. Clay, or clayey sand/silt will turn to bricks if it's worked too wet, and a rototiller is the worst way to turn it into bricks.

If you can add 6" of compost and mix it when dry enough, then you can till it wet and it will still come out fluffy. It will compact the plow pan something awful, but you'll be watering the garden anyway.

cw4Bray

Delmer,
The "bricks" I made last year were the worst ! My bricks were hard enough to be considered rocks. Maybe I need a de-watering well or tile, so I can plant before summer has passed ?

Delmer

Tile is popular. Raised beds do wonders. Organic matter will do wonders for the soil too. You can crush the bricks with enough weight, but you're only making the texture worse the next time.