• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Close Calls?? Here one on the merging lane of I -195

Dmconstruct

Occupation
Operating Engineer Crane Op
Well to explain it, I was hauling the formwork away from the abutment. The carpenters and laborers were behind barrier but myself, telehandlerand the state trooper were behind a few scattered 18" orange traffic cones. I was standing by the ladder you see in the pic just before the Volvo lost control and skidded sideways and 180'd into the workzone. :eek: next time I wont leave my stationclose call 3.jpgclose call.jpgclose call2.jpg

RTSmith

Occupation
Amateur demolition & dirt pusher
Yow, too close for comfort. Glad all's well! As I was once told, I'd rather be lucky than good any day! :D Have a better day today!

And you know- a Volvo. Supposed to be safest thing around. Except for the poor road crew guy they are trying to dribble as a hood ornament..:eek:

Monte1255

Occupation
Farming/forestry/TSI
What was the reason the driver lost control? From the pictures it doesn't look like snow or ice was an issue.

Dmconstruct

Occupation
Operating Engineer Crane Op
18yr old college student with ipod stuck in his ear, texting with his thumbs, movin along 195 at a moderate speed. :pointhead Coming into merging traffic at last min panicked, swerved,and locked up. I've been working on bridges and overpasses for the better part of 10yrs. I've had a few other close calls. Enough to get me into lookin at life insurance policies. I've learned that when you're lucky enough to hear the brakes just jump behind the barrier. Look around later.;)

Speedpup

Occupation
President and all else that needs done!
I see guys working on the road where I must pass within 3-4'. Speed limit is 20 mph on the bridge. They get in the truck or look in tool boxes without even watching traffic going passed. I don't even have the balls to pass them at 20 and many are doing much faster than the speed limit. No clue how they do it.

Dualie

I have done some seat time in a heavy wrecker, and road side construction. The sound of road cone taking a direct hit, or a tire screech will send me over the rail faster than anything else ever could.

That ANSI class 3 vest isn't bullet proof, I drill that into the head of every man i have working in or around me. NOTHING is idiot proof, no K rail, cones, crash truck, cop car, grassy median, even block wall. You have to 100% keep your head on a swivel and your ears open when theres idiots with wheels anywhere near your work area.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
I taught my kids a long time ago ...Never under estimate the stupidity of a driver