• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clicky groups and politics...

crane operator

Funny what sticks in your head sometimes. I was trying to remember if mine was 85 or 86, I think it was 85, but its been 20+ years ago. I just remember it being a pain to source the battery. Its cheaper now than it was 20 years ago- I just found it for under $60, and it was close to $100 then.

Sorry about your friend. Time marches on.

Welder Dave

I have a RD-350 Yamaha and have been approached several times at gas stations (it’s a thirsty rascal) asking if I’d consider selling it because their girlfriend needs a small bike to learn to ride. I generally answer that it’s not a beginner friendly bike. They look at me like I’m an idiot till I kick it over and they hear that 2 stroke scream. I look at them like they’re the idiot then.
My cousin is a Harley snob and commented about my overgrown chainsaw, I laughed at him and said when your bike is wound out at 5 grand, I’m just getting on the pipe.

Is your RD 350 an LC (liquid cooled) or an older one before the RD 400's? I had an 81 RD 350LC. They only made them in 81 and 82 but I don't think were available in the the US because of California's pollution laws. It would beat most 750's except some of the sports bikes. RZ 350's came out in 83 with the power valve which gave even more power. Over 60 HP if I recall and I think had the highest HP to CC rating of any bike. Later RZ's had full fairings and had their own race class. RZ 500 4 cylinder 2 strokes weren't as superior as the 350's. Suzuki's RG 500 Gamma was another 4 cylinder 2 stroke that was generally considered better than the RZ 500. The 2 strokes really give meaning to the term crotch rocket!

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Is your RD 350 an LC (liquid cooled) or an older one before the RD 400's? I had an 81 RD 350LC. They only made them in 81 and 82 but I don't think were available in the the US because of California's pollution laws. It would beat most 750's except some of the sports bikes. RZ 350's came out in 83 with the power valve which gave even more power. Over 60 HP if I recall and I think had the highest HP to CC rating of any bike. Later RZ's had full fairings and had their own race class. RZ 500 4 cylinder 2 strokes weren't as superior as the 350's. Suzuki's RG 500 Gamma was another 4 cylinder 2 stroke that was generally considered better than the RZ 500. The 2 strokes really give meaning to the term crotch rocket!
It's a 1974 RD-350, air cooled and hard on ignition points. A friend has a CDI unit off a Banshee he will give me if I can make it fit.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
I grew up in the sixties when the honda ST bikes were coming out, had LOADS of new subdivisions going in around us where could ride in open dirt or light brush trails, was the best time. Got into Kaw 175 enduro series bikes(ALWAYS Well used before I received) and managed NOT to kill myself or tear up too much skin. Got off bikes until the mid seventies after back from Ft Knox and in my positions in St Louis, bought into Yamaha street bikes. At times really miss the dirt bike rides then get out on the four wheeler and just as happy where does not fall down as easy!! Is just a Kaw 250 but is fine for a old fat guy running fence.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Is your RD 350 an LC (liquid cooled) or an older one before the RD 400's?
Had a RD400 for several years. It was an ugly Green color but ran good.
One bike that I kind of wish I had kept was the Kawasaki S1 three cylinder 250cc. The biggest problem I had with that one is it did not like putting around in town, would foul up the plugs and then take some good running to clean itself out. But for a "little" 250 it would get up and go. It was a bit on the heavy side for it's displacement.

I did get a ride on an 1800 wing one time at a rally. But got yelled at by the Demo rider boss. Seems traffic was a bit heavy and I was the last one in the pack and when I saw an opening I took off to catch up with the rest of the pack. Nothing wild just gave it a handful of throttle like I would do with my Sportster/sidecar outfit! Demo boss bring up the tail did not appreciate that! Said cool it or you are going to walk back! Why they build them with 1800 cc's if you are not allowed to use them?

Welder Dave

The Banshee used an RD 350LC engine with different gearing. It made it's power in the top end. A friend had one that a previous owner put an RZ 350 engine in. The Kawasaki triples were fast but handled like a rock. My brother had an RD 400 Daytona Special that was the last of the air cooled. He put different expansion chambers on it and it sounded like a machine gun. Honda had probably the trickest 2 stroke with the V3 NS400 but it wasn't the fastest.

repowerguy

Occupation
mixer truck mechanic
Had a RD400 for several years. It was an ugly Green color but ran good.
One bike that I kind of wish I had kept was the Kawasaki S1 three cylinder 250cc. The biggest problem I had with that one is it did not like putting around in town, would foul up the plugs and then take some good running to clean itself out. But for a "little" 250 it would get up and go. It was a bit on the heavy side for it's displacement.

I did get a ride on an 1800 wing one time at a rally. But got yelled at by the Demo rider boss. Seems traffic was a bit heavy and I was the last one in the pack and when I saw an opening I took off to catch up with the rest of the pack. Nothing wild just gave it a handful of throttle like I would do with my Sportster/sidecar outfit! Demo boss bring up the tail did not appreciate that! Said cool it or you are going to walk back! Why they build them with 1800 cc's if you are not allowed to use them?
The last part there reminded me of when my son took to riding my RD. Like I said it’s hard on points and you must adjust them often as the rubbing block wears down. Well he accidentally adjusted the timing and got it retarded so it ran really sluggish. I bought the timing tool, and after some trial and error, dialed it in. He jumps on and rolls open the throttle full in the driveway and stands it straight up and barely rides it out. He’s mad as fire and claiming that something is wrong. No, that’s how it’s supposed to run youngun.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Buddy had a Kaw 550 three banger, was like tying your butt to a stick of dynamite. Once it hit around 5-6G it lit up and was all could do to hang on!!! KNEW when it went on the Pipe!!

Truck Shop

The two strokes were fast but there is just something that doesn't look right about all the smoke.

Welder Dave

Usually when warm and at speed there's not a lot of smoke. The RD 350LC I had was pretty docile for riding around in the city but a turn of the throttle unleashed the inner beast. It did 110 MPH top speed but you had to push it to get there. 107 MPH was more easily accomplished. The guy I bought it from (sold it to buy an RZ 500) put low bars on it so you could pretty much lay on the tank. A friend had a V45 Magna (semi chopper)and said you need at least a 750 to have decent power. He took my bike for a ride and said maybe not. The weird thing was he had a clear plexiglass windshield that basically limited you to highway speeds. Flexed too much and affected handling trying to go any faster than about 70 MPH. So much for having extra power.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Buddy had a Kaw 550 three banger, was like tying your butt to a stick of dynamite. Once it hit around 5-6G it lit up and was all could do to hang on!!! KNEW when it went on the Pipe!!
Yea that little 250 Kaw was the same almost like it was running on one cylinder till it hit that point. Not sure I would be here today if I had bought one of the 500 or 750 cc versions of those bikes!

Reminds me of what a guy I knew up in Canada called bikes like that and all "sport bikes" called them "ZOOM-SPLATS" said that the last noises they usually made.

rolandjen

It seems like you've had some challenges with the racing community, and it can be frustrating when politics and BS get in the way of your passion. Unfortunately, these things can happen in any kind of racing or different groups.
On a different note, if you're interested in staying informed about the world of politics, you might find this resource helpful: (spam link removed by moderator). It provides insights and information about the upcoming US presidential election in 2024.
Remember, setbacks and politics shouldn't dampen your enthusiasm for racing. Stay focused on your love for the sport, keep pushing forward, and surround yourself with like-minded individuals who share your passion.

Last edited by a moderator:

cfherrman

It's a alpha/beta thing and those types of people like to stick together and have a hierarchy and if your different it scares the hell out of them.

Im a charlie because I do whatever I want to and not because they are doing something, or not doing something.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
rolandjen is a well written spam bot that bumped a 3 year old thread with some AI-generated drivel and inserted a link into it. That's our future. That crap needs to be pulled out like the weed that it is.

Which is quite easy for me to do as an admin, but that means I have to pull you're post as well since you replied to his post. If I pull his post and leave yours it wouldn't make much sense in the context of the thread. This is the very reason why we implore members not to respond to spammers, makes our job cleaning up their mess tougher.

Welder Dave

rolandjen is a well written spam bot that bumped a 3 year old thread with some AI-generated drivel and inserted a link into it. That's our future. That crap needs to be pulled out like the weed that it is.
I kind of figured something was up mentioning politics in the literal sense.