1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Clearing history

Discussion in 'Geek Patrol' started by Old Doug, Jun 16, 2019.

1. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

When i first log on to my computer it will show stuff that i have logged on to in the past and i would like to delet this. I have went into the history and cleared it but it dosent clear every thing.

DMiller likes this.
  2. Delmer

Delmer Senior Member

Use something like Ccleaner. I'm not recomending that one, that's just what I use, even though I've read it's not as good as the competition. The free version works fine, it just takes some reading to figure out where to click to actually get the free version.

DMiller likes this.
  3. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    If you're looking to not leave traces of where you've been with cookies and such then use firefox's 'Private browsing' but keep in mind if you want to visit a site later and can't remember how you got there firefox won't be of any help ;)

DMiller and Michael467 like this.
  4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

I use the paid version of Mil Shield. There is a free trial version. It works very well.
    Be sure you have all your passwords stored somewhere. It will log you off websites that require passwords.
    https://www.milincorporated.com/milshield2.html

DMiller likes this.
  5. fast_st

fast_st Senior Member

IT systems admin
    Doug, not sure but if you're using firefox jam this into your location bar

about: preferences#privacy

remove the space between the : and p because it just makes a raspberryface.

good stuff in there.

DMiller likes this.
  6. Michael467

Michael467 Member

Wow didn't know that. Good tip!

DMiller likes this.
  7. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Good day
    Currently I use both Safari and Firefox browsers while the former has provision to delete browsing history it needs an Develop addition to remove what is referred to as Cache's while Firefox has the one key to do both, no software required. Not sure about current Microsoft platforms gave up on that years ago. Clearing the history has a speeding effect to the browser.
    Kind regards
    Uffex

DMiller likes this.
  8. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    I used to use "Internet Explorer" But there were alot of sites that wont recognise IE anymore & couldnt get on specific web pages..
    "IE" has a "clear history" section under TOOLS then hit "internet options" & it'll get u there & u can set a time to delete all history.. I selected "every time u shut down".. & it worked perfectly..

I now switched to "Chrome".. & i have the same problem as u..
    I found the clear history page but "U" have to do it.. EVERY TIME u shut down..
    I havent found any page to do it automatically..

DMiller and old-iron-habit like this.
  9. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Thats quite a good habit to adopt
    Kind regards
    Uffex

DMiller likes this.
  10. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    "I THINK" if u get to the "TOOLS" section of your computer.. & go to either security or internet options..
    It'll show u what the DEFAULT home page/search engine your using..
    IF ur using Chrome as your main search engine & it says, MSNBC.. CHANGE IT..
    THEN scroll down to the history section & change THAT to EVERY TIME..
    I havent done it yet but I KNOW that it says Internet Explorer for my default.. I have to change it to Chrome..
    {follow my own advise}

DMiller likes this.
  11. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Like Delmer suggested ---> CCleaner. I have been using the Professional version for many years.
    Not only does it erase website cookies, browser history and the cache, but it also scans the operating system registry.
    I quit using MilShield on my Windows 10 laptop.

DMiller likes this.
  12. Ruahines

Ruahines Active Member

fitter
    If you are using chrome there is an addon called "click and clean" that allows you to clear all the history etc when you use it to close chrome. Otherwise just use Firefox and configure it to clear history and cookies when you exit firefox

DMiller likes this.
  13. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

I just want to know what you guys are hiding!? LOL ;)

DMiller and mg2361 like this.
  14. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Me, nothing.

DMiller, mg2361 and Vetech63 like this.
  15. Ruahines

Ruahines Active Member

fitter
    Not hiding anything, just that where I live and work internet is often difficult and anything that uses up space will slow it down even more. Oftentimes I have to climb up a hill and hope to get enough phone signal to make the world come to my laptop.
    Also if I am looking for something I don't need ebay and google to send me reminders about what I looked at last time I logged on to the net and remind me that i didn't buy anything.

DMiller likes this.
  16. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Yes, slowing down my computer is a bad side effect of visiting websites.
    People tracking me and all the crap that websites leave behind when I exit them is why I delete everything on a regular basis. Here is a screenshot of an analysis of the condition of my laptop right now.
    cc.png

DMiller likes this.
  17. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    I don't use chrome for that reason. Mine with standard goggle is set to delete every time I shut down. Eventually I may have to modern up but as long as the old standard goggle works I'm back with it. Get a lot less crap this way.

DMiller likes this.
  18. uffex

uffex Senior Member

Admin
    Good day folks
    Reading the threads i find that some of the content rings a few bells, doing battle with IT issues seems to be part of the daily work routine. This past winter I decided to make a project to resolve some of my irritations.
    I am interested to hear of others ideas and solutions - suggestions, attached is a brief PDF of my project which may be of interest to some or the forum members.
    Kind regards
    Uffex

Attached Files:

DMiller likes this.
  19. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    When I have some time I'll work my way through your PDF file a little slower and with better concentration. I went through similar trials but all with Mac products. The biggest issue was when they changed chips and operating systems. I still have an old lap top that runs on System 7 so I can keep some of the old projects I put together. My desk top now is an IMac that is more than ten years old and running Yosemite and a one year old Macbook Pro running Mojave. I stayed away from the Microsoft stuff for years because of the bugs in the software and the level of expertise needed to keep those systems running. I had to run a business and my business wasn't about working on computers. I do run Microsoft Office on the Macs now and it runs much better on these platforms than I ever had it run on high end PC lap tops.

DMiller likes this.