• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clear old road

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Get some white rock, 2" with fines on that and you will have a super highway base to get up and down on!

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hi DMiller, Iam hoping to get it a little wider, it was a wild ride and a small rock pile, and i still need a adjust the brakes bands. All that steep grade is a bit harry.
a lota of dirt to move. I'll try to take a few more photo's as i work on it, its a job just trying to learn to drive, and a work out. sam.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello HEF, Well i got the road down t the street, the last 75 feet were full of rocks, a couple times it hit so hard that my phone flew out of my pocket. Thanks for seat belts, LOL...., i only have the road about 7 ft. wide and will have to make it at least 12 ft. wide, but i did get my small car up the road. sam.
Cat Tracks, Road 016.jpg Cat Tracks, Road 012.jpg

Scrub Puller

Yair . . . wosama931b .

Hello HEF, Well i got the road down t the street,

Well done mate . . . but the road is one thing, maintaining it another.

Here we would have to have permits and a design by an engineer to undertake such a project.

A structure such as that could be subject to major hillside failure

From the look of the vegetation it looks you get some decent rainfall and you may need some serious drainage and diversion work to keep it all together.

The sheer up-hill face will degrade and slump due to percolation down the slope and you will need a decent drain at the toe of the bank and pipes to get the water across the road . . . lots of work to do yet. (big grin)

Cheers.

Last edited:

parky123

Eh?

wosama looks good
I had to build a runway like that for my old D4 traxcavator
I would park it on top of the hill and tug it with a farm tractor to get it rolling-- once it was going fast enough, I'd pop the clutch and jump start it
( starting pion was broken) this all worked well until a filter plugged and I got air in the fuel lines---- she sat at the bottom of the hill which was a swamp ( good old Canadian shield type territory) kinda had to fix it then, farm tractor wouldn't pull it back up the hill-- tried chain-falling it up, hooking it to trees and rock--took me 10hrs only to fail again
that's where I learned everything on a cat starts off weighing at 50lbs

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hi parky123, i know what your saying, on the farm when i was a kid, 60 years ago, we parked the crawer on a hill and used to drift start it, that was my first ride
on a crawer, it was a lota fun when buddy let me steer, at 6 years old.
The road work will take a lot longer to complete, i will try getting some new teeth on the bucket, and start up again, need to make another 6' cut to get it wide enough. And the drainage must figured out, still a lota work left, but i think that i am close to grade that i want. They do have the erosion police in the county , i here that they are very nasty, and i have to get a permit to install a culvert. the hill is up in Va. on the same road that i grew up on. sam.

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hello HEF, A little more work on the road to get down to the road level, and rock. It was not perty, the Cat was like a 8 ton sledghammer, the bucket teeth are
at there end...that last 12 ' was a trip.
Road to street 003.jpg

Road to street 006.jpg

wosama931b

Occupation
Real Estate Broker/ Ret.
Hi td25c, That is about a 15 degrees incline, but i need to get it wider at the bottom, but a lot of rocks , iam going to put some new teeth on the bucket.
I have a curve near the top that needs a larger circumference, my f250 will hit the bank and already knock a dint in the bumper.