• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cleaning & undercarriages.

artherd

This question has bothered me for some time; I regularily have the guys clean the excavators, every time it comes off a job of course, and about once every week or two while on-site.

That said, what exactly are the benefits to cleaning while running in regular moisture conditioned dirt material anyway? Obviously you want to get mud/etc off there relatively soon so you do not get rust under the caked-on material, not speaking of extra dirty situations, just normal use.

Should we clean more often? Less when onsite? Opinions?

Squizzy246B

Administrator
Occupation
Digger Driver
artherd: I'll talk predominantly about the running gear. We operate mainly in sand and pressure clean our mini-ex tracks at least once a week. The reasons for this are as follows:

1.) If you look at the history of CTL/MTL machines in the early days...and still to date, poor track life and early undercarriage failures where often attributed a build up crap around the running gear. I'll take that as good general information to possess.

2.) With the mini-x, and even given its running in sand, I can get 3/8" difference in track tension between uncleaned and cleaned. So there is obviously some build up there that is stretching the tracks.

3.) We are getting track life at the upper end of most expectations so we must be doing something right.

4.) I believe cleaning the tracks is a good work ethic to encourage and better, a chance to closely inspect the condition of the undercarriage and catch any problems before they become..."Spendy".

In general:

5.) Excess grease holds dirt around the lube point...clean it off when its done its job. Keep your machine well presented for your clients and I believe it reflects well on your business.

6.) ...a clean machine is good for the soul:rolleyes: :D

Ross

Depends on what machine you have/use?

Cleaning the tracks on mini diggers is a walk in the park. Larger machines are another kettle of fish.

Ross

jperfect

Occupation
operator digging mainline
i have all eays been in the habet that i clean my tracks every day then you dont forget about when its important. i dont know if it makes a differants though.

surfer-joe

Bang on Squizzy. You should clean tracks and roller frames every shift. In winter the stuff won't freeze on if you get it off while things are still warm. In summer, it isn't "baked" on. Clean U/C can be checked for cracks, missing hardware or damaged components. Also leaks from finals and idlers, rollers, and adjusters. An U/C packed up with dirt, mud, or snow, is also a safety hazard if your operator slips off because the footstep is obstructed. Then he winds up with injured back and becomes owner of company. Finally, if muck is allowed to build up, it can cause tensional stress or binding problems that you do not need, Can also increase fuel consumption. Cleaning U/C also teaches operators humility.

artherd

Full cleaning (which in my opinion requires about an hour and a BIG pressure washer, preferably heated) or just knocking the dirt off with a shovel?

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Full cleaning (which in my opinion requires about an hour and a BIG pressure washer, preferably heated) or just knocking the dirt off with a shovel?

As surfer-joe said, cleaning with a shovel every shift is a good work ethic. Especially if working in muck or clay, rather than have it harden up overnight, it's good practice to take a track shovel or narrow spade, and at least open up underneath the chains, around rolls, and drive sprockets. You'll notice more improved travel and less wear if this was a daily ritual.

If you're in a cold climate, and working in freezing temps., it's a no-brainer then.

I once rented a JD 70D to a "buddy" for a day so he could finish up a job that he had lingering in December. I had a septic system repair to do with it the next day after he was done, and requested his guys to clean out the tracks, and drop the machine off at MY job so I can get going bright and early the following morning. (We are in Upstate NY on the Vt. border, it was C O L D...)

I get to my job as planned the next day early, there sits my 70D, tracks plugged solid with that beautiful, black swamp muck so bad, you couldn't see anything but the tracks themselves. It was zero overnight, and it was so frozen, the machine wouldn't budge. I beat with crowbars, chipped with hammers, and finally went and got a tarp and a generator and my salamander space heater, and spent the next several hours thawing and removing chunks of frosted slop from the trackframe. Some "buddy", huh?:beatsme

I got my country justice though. I borrowed his Western Star 10 wheeler a few days later to haul some fill to my job, and it kept building and building up in the nose around the doghouse until the floor finally had a good covering, and left it in his yard with about 4-5 c.y.'s of frozen dirt in the body. He called me up howling mad about it, and I fired back about what his knothead operator did to me, and called it even...:drinkup

surfer-joe

Ah, revenge is sometimes sweet LowBoy! But I guess you found out the hard way as I and so many others have what happens to muck left in an U/C when the temperature drops.

artherd, cleaning with a spade, or "sharp-shooter" some call them is usually adequate. You never get it all, but clearing the most of it will allow rollers and idlers to turn and you can spot some problems if they happen. I'd like to have a buck for every Cat I beat on trying to get frozen or baked stuff off.

One idea that's been used is having laborers do the cleaning instead of higher paid operators. While it is cheaper, I don't know that you get a better job tho the operators were happy about not having to do it. But on a big spread with lots of dozers and other tracked machines, it may save some time to have a crew of 3-4 people pull up and go to it. With adequate supervision and some experience good cleaning could be expected.

ILMChris

In the Army all equipment coming out of the field went through a wash point...about 6 vehichles wide with fire hoses mounted on stands, 2 per lane at the beginning and at the end, about 2-3 feet deep, cement pad. It was generally a good idea to use the drivers parascope and keep the hatches shut.

Still didn't keep all the water out though.

tylermckee

I never clean my tracks. We are working in shot rock. Bring a machine in with an UC full of dirt and in a few hours its clean enough to eat off :cool:

dumptrucker

In my opinion the more you clean it the easier it is to clean. I have seen idler rolls not spin and wear flat spots. On dozer's the final drive seals will start to leak from not cleaning because of built up heat. I usually clean tracks everyday. Takes 15 to 20 minutes at most.

Truckie

In my opinion the more you clean it the easier it is to clean. I have seen idler rolls not spin and wear flat spots. On dozer's the final drive seals will start to leak from not cleaning because of built up heat. I usually clean tracks everyday. Takes 15 to 20 minutes at most.
Yes I agree 100% with you on that statement, I have also saw guys do this and they don’t care at all.

The conditions we run in in the winter requires you to clean the tracks twice a day. Once at lunch and then at quitting time. During the summer I will clean the tracks out every 3 days, and that is just a build up of dust. If it rains and get muddy I clean around the rollers and the chain slop on top every day and wait till the mud dries up and then clean the rest out. If it gets to hard or frizzes enough where we cant shovel it I have one of my guys come over with the Cat skid steer with the forks on it and knock the material loose.
It took me about 3 times to teach this guy how to do this and he is pretty good at it now, and then I just go though and do the final cleaning with my shovel.

lgammon

winter it is an every day thing. summer there is nothing there to clean out unless it is muddy, then we clean daliy. i think that the operator should clean his own tracks, builds character and keeps his head from swealing. i have always just worked for my dad and his thinking is that any man that works for him will wear out one shovel before he gets on a machine so that he really knows how to dig and not to be lazy

Wulf

A friend of mine runs a repair shop and a machine was dropped off for an undercarriage job that was quoted and flat-rated down to the last dime. The dozer came in with the the tracks packed hard with weeks of dirt... well before the machine was unloaded the customer was called and was told that cleaning wasn't included and the shop could do it prior to starting repairs but they would charge by the hour.

The owner said no way and sent the operator down to do it himself and even had him take the soil away for disposal... quite character building;)

Tacodriver

Occupation
Yarder op, hoechucker, lowbedder etc..
A friend of mine runs a repair shop and a machine was dropped off for an undercarriage job that was quoted and flat-rated down to the last dime. The dozer came in with the the tracks packed hard with weeks of dirt... well before the machine was unloaded the customer was called and was told that cleaning wasn't included and the shop could do it prior to starting repairs but they would charge by the hour.

The owner said no way and sent the operator down to do it himself and even had him take the soil away for disposal... quite character building;)

If I was the lowbed operator the tracks would have to be cleaned before hitting the road. People get excited when dirt and rocks bounce off their windshield.

treemuncher

Occupation
eatin' trees, poopin' chips
Fast Excavator Undercarraige Cleaning Technique

I AM SURE THIS IS NOT OSHA APPROVED - USE THIS METHOD AT YOUR OWN RISK
The fastest way that I have found to clean out the tracks on my PC200 is as follows:

Build a Y shaped chain assembly with three hooks ,one clevis and two lengths of chain (one short, one long). I use 3/8" or larger grade 70 chain for this assembly.

Attach two slip type hooks, one on each end of the short chain. The length of the short chain should be about 1.5 - 2 times the width of your pads. The short chain is to be attached to each side of a track pad in order to lift the track.

Attach the clevis to one end of the long chain with the short chain riding in the middle of the clevis hoop. This allows for some freedom of movement to reduce binding. Attach the other hook to the free end of the long chain. Adjust long chain length as required after finding the vertical lift "sweet spot." Normally, I position my boom at full lift, arm full in and use the bucket curl to lift the tracks carefully. Too much lift will break the chain if the tracks are tight.

To use: Hook the short chain across a track pad located above or just past a carrier roller closer to the end of the track. Hook the end of the long chain to the bucket or other implement and carefully raise the track 2" - 12" depending on your slack adjustment. Be careful to get your long chain measured properly to get a vertical lift on the track to reduce binding.

Result: You will have ample room to get a shovel between the track and the frame to clean out the mud and mess in big chunks and record time. You will need to lift from 2 positions on each track side to make the fastest work of this task. Loosen the clods from the inner side of the frame and then remove large slabs of dirt from the outer side of the track frame. I use this method whenever I've got a mess of heavy mud or caked in debris.

During the dry months, my REDMAX backpack blower is usually sufficient for most of my track cleaning and all of the lowboy clean-up. Time is money and speed is critical!

JimBruce42

Occupation
operator
I have to agree with the general consensus of cleaning (shoveling) tracks daily. Even on days where you're working in dry material and barely build any up, its an extra excuse to look for damage or wear.

I've experienced the frozen track syndrome:Banghead That can make for a long (and cold) morning.

The job I'm on now, we have 1 D9, 1 D8, 2 D6's, and 2 345's (with the variable u/c) to shovel out every night, and everyone helps eachother, even those of us that do not have tracks. Makes it go faster and if you've been in the mud its nice to have help:drinkup

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
I found a trick after decades of cleaning tracks that is not always an option but I avail myself of it when I can.If you can find a sandpile or an area with fines in it try to get the first layer on your undercarriage of sand and you will find that anything else that lands on top of that will not stick as bad and it can save you some time and sweat at the end of the day.
It takes me a good hour to clean the tracks on a D8 and it would be nice to have any help I can get.
Sometimes it is so cold that the undercarriage freezes during the day while you are working.....I don't even want to think about it!!LOL.Ron G