1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cleaning Plexiglas windows

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by dsgsr, Oct 15, 2017.

1. dsgsr

dsgsr Well-Known Member

Anything I can make $$ at.
    Hi folks, I have a 2004 TB175 Takeuchi hoe. The Plexiglas window above the operators head is cloudy. Can't see the stick & bucket when in the air. Is there any buffing compound to clear this up?

Thank you,
    DaveG

2. ovrszd

ovrszd Senior Member

Retired Army
    Any Polishing Compound should help. It's very fine grit. Barely rougher than auto wax. Will require a lot of elbow grease.

Army trick, helicopter crews use Pledge Furniture polish on windows to hide scratches, etc. Down side is has to be done repeatedly.

old-iron-habit likes this.
  3. old-iron-habit

old-iron-habit Senior Member

Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
    Nice thing about a Lemon Pledge applied window is that when it gets dusty you can wipe it with a gloved hand and it wipes clean with no scratch or stick. We used it for years on our goggles while racing long distance off road events. It easily lasted for 20 wipes on a 100 mile race.

4. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    They say toothpaste is a way to take the cloud off of headlight lenses. Maybe that'll work there. Like mentioned above, very fine grit to remove oxidation. Start maybe 300 and move finer. Use water the entire time you work on it. Vary the direction of your strokes. You should end up at 600 or maybe even 800 if you want all of the scratches gone. Then pledge or even just a good wax to protect and prevent future oxidation.

5. Tones

Tones Senior Member

land clearing contractor
    There are some good products on the market for doing this that any good auto store would have. Mcguires and Mothers are 2 brand names that come to mind with different grades for scratch removal to polishing.

6. Dozerboy

Dozerboy Senior Member

Operator
    Plastic Polish (like for headlights) if it’s just cloudy sandpaper and polish if you need to remove scratches.

7. seville009

seville009 Well-Known Member

I just replaced my skidsteer plexiglass with glass. There were hairline spider scratches between the panes of plexiglass that couldn’t be buffed out. Couldn’t see out when facing the sun or in bright snow. So.....you may not be able to get it clear if you have the same situation

8. Former Wrench

Former Wrench Senior Member

Road Construction Permit Analyst
    I would try an aeromotive parts shop. Small planes have plastic windshields. I remember getting some good buffing compounds to do my motorcycle goggles years back at air shops.

9. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Have you considered replacing it ? Unless you do demo work maybe replace it with glass.

10. check

check Senior Member

I usually replace Plexiglass (acrylic) with Lexan (polycarbonate). The Lexan is easier to work with, doesn't crack so easily when you drill/cut it. You still have the problem with scratches but it's very impact resistant. It costs more than Plexiglass, though. Much safer than glass.