• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cleaning out ponds

Scrub Puller

Hello folks.

I was no excavator hand but have enough seat time to understand the frustration of folks who can’t “reach that bit in the middle” when cleaning out small ponds. For years I’ve had this odd-ball simple/relatively inexpensive idea that could extend the reach of any excavator for baling slop and mud.

It would be easy enough to make but would take a bit of “fine tuning” but I could see a good operator making it work quite well. I have a thick skin, maybe have a bit of a think about it and then shoot me down in flames. (Big grin)

Basically it is no more than a round bucket sized to suit the machine. It is attached to a lug on the bucket with a piece of heavy chain of sufficient length to allow ground clearance for the bucket when boom and stick are in a workable fully raised position.

The bucket is furnished with a counterweighted bottom door and latch . . . the latch is released by touching the bucket to the ground against a log or whatever and the weight of the goop shoves the door open and it relatches when lifted and empty . . . everything should be built with plenty of clearance

All sorts of refinements could be built in like a taper on the bucket sides and of course the existing bucket could be dropped off to allow for a larger capacity “goop can” but that’s the general idea. I was always going to make a little one to try out on a neighbours backhoe but it never happened.

Cheers.