• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cleaning Grease From Around Pins

RonL

When I grease the pins on my machines I like to see at least a little grease ooze out around the pins. I wipe off the old caked stuff but I like to see a ring of grease, old or otherwise, around the periphery of the pin. I figure this offers some protection from crap getting back in to the pins. Guy I know is obsessive with his machine. He intends to clean everything off with an industrial degreaser. This seems excessive. Seems like if the degreaser got into the pins you would have to flush them out with a lot of grease and be back to having a lot of grease on your pins. I figure a quick wipe down with a rag offers the best solution. What do you do?

RonL

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
well, grease is cheap, so is elbow grease! I like to see some grease puke out but a couple times a season it'll get a few washes with industrial degreaser and a pressure washer, repeat till its nice and clean, then go give it a greasing to push any water out. Paper towels and rags work well for the between bath servicing, Even with a ring, if there's any pin slop it'll be sucking air in no time.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
I like to see a little grease come out of the pin. The most important thing to do is wipe the grease nipple before greasing so no dirt is going in the pin when greasing. I'll scrape or wipe off excessive grease from the last greasing but don't get anal about it. The most important thing is grease inside the pin, what's outside the pin is not doing anything other than staining your shirt or pants leg when you brush against it.:D

Same here, when the machines are at the shop they get pressure washed, de-greased and re-greased along with other service and cosmetic items. That happens about twice a year.

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Yair . . . .

I understand the point that fast_st is making but at twelve to seventeen bucks a pound (i.e. one cartridge) I don't think grease is "cheap" . . . how much in the US?

Cheers.

All is relative, I'm holding onto a $250 JD center pin that died due to lack of grease.

Todd v.

Yair . . . .

I understand the point that fast_st is making but at twelve to seventeen bucks a pound (i.e. one cartridge) I don't think grease is "cheap" . . . how much in the US?

Cheers.
$6-10 a tube depending on what you run. More for the overpriced synthetics.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Scrub I'm buying a moly grease in tubes (Megaplex XD3) from my fuel/oil supplier for $2.90 USD a tube (14 oz)
in cases of 10, including tax. It's a Phillips 66 product with 3% moly. A 120 LB keg is $320. The keg is on the service truck and the tubes are on the pickups.

It's a good grease that stays in the pins and it's cheap.

Last edited:

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
Agreed in the course of things, grease is very cheap. We have two power washing crews as subs. Every machine is washed at least monthly. I have 5 fuel trucks and two full time pm guys. I also have 7 mechanics chasing machines. Grease is the last thing i want to worry about when there is dirt to move and pipe to put in the ground!

fast_st

Occupation
IT systems admin
Yair . . . .

Gotch fast_st I hear you but at the price we pay here grease is now a significant cost . . . it used to be negligible.

Todd v. thanks for reply.

Cheers.

Yeah, that's crazy for a typical 3% moly grease, sounds like the crimianls on the island came out from hiding!! I supppose if nothing is manufactured there it all has to be shipped in.

M Leach

Like to see a little fresh grease coming out of the pin. If it's caked up or dry that could be a sign it hasn't been lubed lately. Some pins need to get lubed daily.