• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark G127 idles fine but spits and sputters at part throttle

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I believe I have found the source of the problem.....

I went to Pertronix's website and downloaded an instruction manual for one that looked close. In the guide there was a troubleshooting section and it mentioned running rough or no start. I checked the battery and had a solid 12.8V and then went to check the infeed of the resistor and found that I only had 10.4V.

The book mentioned that to test it to run a jumper wire between the input of the ballast resistor and the battery. I did that and it fired up and ran like a champ. No more sputtering, I am going to let it set over night and see if it works in the morning as well.

Jeff

Why I dislike with a passion working on spark engines...just too damn many things can make them go crazy. Anytime I have someone ask me if I do work on cars (spark engines), my reply is "I'd rather pour diesel fuel on them and set them on fire!" :yup

JeffTx

You feel the same way about Spark controlled engines, as I do about CRT TV's. My background is in electronics and whenever someone asked if I worked on TV's I would say no (got shocked a couple of times). I'll work on about anything else but that doesn't seem to be a problem anymore since CRT TV's are obsolete.

All I have worked on most of my life are spark engines, from Briggs/Stratton, through 2-4 cylinder motorcycle engines to car engines and performance engines (Forced induction, building and modifying parts). In all that time I have only run into this 1 other time and that was a GM HEI that the Ignition wire would work loose and I would have to reach in in and plug it back up.

I have only worked on a couple Diesle engines and that was only to replace a electric pump on a Ford engine and a starter problem on a GM.

Jeff

garyd33

Intrigued to know whether you solved your problem JeffTx? Have recently come across some similar issues and wondered what worked for you. Thanks

Hent

garyd, i solved mine with new points and condenser and just making sure all of the wires and grounds were good.

i have a source for the parts if you do need them - not sure if i can post links or not here.

JeffTx

It was low voltage at the coil.

Earlier I mentioned I had 12.8V at the battery (I had the truck running for a while, shut it down and took a measurment at the battery). I turned on the ignition and only had 10.4 at the input to the ballast resistor. My temporary fix is still there (adding a relay and running a wire striaght to the battery), but it still runs as well as it had in the past. I still need to adjust the mixer a little and reset the timing (from 6* back to 5*) and then reset the idle. Other than that it's working well. no more real sputtering or anything.

Note: this is not equiped with points, it has a pertronix ignition module (AKA: Electronic ignition).

Jeff