• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Clark forklift help please

SilentRon

My Clark C 500 30 forklift came to me without manuals. Accordingly, I have several basic questions:

1. My forklift won't move forward or backward. Is there an adjustment for the fluid drive pressure? Could I have a clogged filter, and/or low pump pressure?

2. I have two filters under the seat; what are they for? Is one for hydraulic fluid and one for motor oil?

3. Where are the fill points located for the hydraulic fluid, engine oil, and transmission fluid?

Thank you!

Respectfully,
SilentRon

SilentRon

My Clark C 500 30 forklift came to me without manuals. Accordingly, I have several basic questions:

1. My forklift won't move forward or backward. Is there an adjustment for the fluid drive pressure? Could I have a clogged filter, and/or low pump pressure?

2. I have two filters under the seat; what are they for? Is one for hydraulic fluid and one for motor oil?

3. Where are the fill points located for the hydraulic fluid, engine oil, and transmission fluid?

Thank you!

Respectfully,
SilentRon

One more question:

4. What type transmission fluid is correct?

Thanks again!
SilentRon

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
1. Too many reasons on go F and R to tell you right off.
2. One is for engine oil, the other for transmission fluid. Engine oil will have small hoses, trans will have larger hoses.
3. Hydraulic- Sitting on truck looking fwd, right side of of frame is the hydraulic tank, with a black plastic breather cap.
If original could have a metal dipstick attached or newer versions a plastic one.
Fill hydraulic oil in where cap removed from.

Engine is probably a Y112 Continental flat head. Sitting same position, a typical engine oil dipstick left side, lower,
in block, reaching down into the oil pan. Use straight 30W name brand engine oil.

Transmission check and fill is down behind the mast/upright, into the front of the housing, about centered between the wheels.
It will have a little cross piece on top, twist if left to loosen, pull up and out. It consists of the top cross piece, large rubber plug,
and an attached dipstick. Loosening it lessens the size of the rubber plug, pull out and check level, wipe, replace, twist right to
expand the. rubber plug. Add slowly (1 quart at a time) as the housing tapers with height and it is easy to over fill and difficult to get out.

Next post question: Any name brand Dexron I or II transmission fluid. Originally used I, the later II. Either will work fine.

Now.... Disregard the go - no go for now.

Crank and run the mast all way up. If it goes up smoothly and bumps out to the stops, and engine loads up, you have plenty of
hydraulic oil. That is all it needs, to go all way up.

If it gets part way up, begins to jiggle and jerk, you need more oil.
Lower it slowly to expel any air in the circuit. With it all way down,
you can consider checking the level with the dipstick on the cap.
Add small amounts (1 quart) at a time. till it goes all way up. That is enough.
Depending on the installed mast, you need little oil for a single stage and a lot for
a three stage.

Post serial number of the truck, and the upright number (on outside of mast outer channel)
usually about eye level. Truck SN should read like C500-30 355-XXX-XXXX. Upright will be
something like F-83-130 or M-83-189 (xxx and XXXX will be numbers.)
Luck...

SilentRon

First, my sincere thanks to TD24. Your response was very helpful. This is my first forklift truck and I feel bad asking such basic questions. Why is it that whenever we purchase used equipment, it RARELY comes with manuals or the requisite paper work? Sorry, I admit that's a rhetorical question.

The serial number (does not start with C500-30) = 235 940 4306. Lift capacity = 2750 lbs.; machine weight = 4200 lbs. (per Google). That's all the specs I presently have for my machine. I will have to post the upright number later as my "truck" is presently 2 hours away from me (sorry).

Thanks again for the helpful info your provided. My machine is acting like it's low on tranny fluid, so the info you provided should be a big help in checking the fluid levels.

Respectfully,
SilentRon

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
First, my sincere thanks to TD24. Your response was very helpful. This is my first forklift truck and I feel bad asking such basic questions. Why is it that whenever we purchase used equipment, it RARELY comes with manuals or the requisite paper work? Sorry, I admit that's a rhetorical question.

The serial number (does not start with C500-30) = 235 940 4306. Lift capacity = 2750 lbs.; machine weight = 4200 lbs. (per Google). That's all the specs I presently have for my machine. I will have to post the upright number later as my "truck" is presently 2 hours away from me (sorry).

Thanks again for the helpful info your provided. My machine is acting like it's low on tranny fluid, so the info you provided should be a big help in checking the fluid levels.

Respectfully,
SilentRon

Exactly where did you get the SN? From a data plate riveted on or from the numbers cut into the frame on right side.
The lift capacity/Total weight from Google?

If a plate, please photograph and post. If not, does the truck appear to have been painted several times eg:
thick paint when you scratch it to bare metal. If heavy paint you will wear out a good pocket knife scraping down
to them. Your numbers are good Clark numbers-Its the 940th truck made in their production run 4306. Capacity
could be any of 2000, 2500, 3000, 3500 from the leading 235. It will probably turn out to be a C500S30
(short wheel base) 2000 truck with a 3000 weight.

Model and SN should be cut into right side of frame in 1 inch high ltrs/nbrs.

"truck" expression came from OSHA describing them in their multitude of regulations as "Powered Industrial Trucks".
More luck...

SilentRon

The SN was obtained from the exact stamping on the riveted data plate. The lift capacity was also obtained from said data plate exact stamping. Total weight was obtained from a "Google" search. Due to the dynamic nature of the Internet, I can not find the hyperlink indicating 4200 lbs as indicated in my previous post; however, I did locate the following link (https://www.govdeals.com/?fa=Main.Item&itemid=96&acctid=1995) indicating the machine is 4260 lbs. So it's in the 4200 to 4300 range, more or less.

Hopefully I will remember to take my camera on my next trip to my shop (a two hour drive). Then we will see how successful I am at posting the requested photos on this forum.

Thanks again for your response; very helpful.

Respectfully,
SilentRon

SilentRon

Anyone know if the Clark C 500 30 has a pressure adjustment for the drive fluid? Please let me know if you have any questions regarding this post, or if you require additional information. Thank you.

Respectfully,
SilentRon

gtermini

Those have an unload circuit on the trans activated by the first inch or so of the brake pedal. I don't have the info on adjustment off hand, but you should be able to find it connecting from the pedal to the valve body and possibly temporally disable it to rule it in or out as the drive issue. I have one at work and may have manuals, I'll check and let you know about trans adjustment if I can find it.

Greyson

lantraxco

Some of the Clark's the declutch for inching was hydraulic off a brake master cylinder, if the tranny side seal in the actuator leaked a bit the brake cup on the brake fluid end of the actuator would swell and stick instead of returning by spring pressure. Yours may be one of those models.

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Check your e-mail again. Line card on way.

Info on trans available if instructions followed...

TD24

Moolla

Occupation
Owner of MM Lubricants
Hi All

Im new to the forum i have recently purchased a clark c500 30 forklift had a few engine probs so changed out a few things like starter and alternator engine runs great
Just has a hard start due to a injector pipe leak..which i cant get if any1 in sa knows where i can get a set of perkins 4 cyl diesel engine please advise...but once started sounds great
I noticed on first start it goes into gears imediately but if i switch off n start again i have to wait a while be4 it engages gears

Today i had to move the truck to a new warehouse about 5km away and it got there great but once therer it struggled to move so i let it cool off and tried moving it again but if didnt budge..had to tow it in the yard
Any ideas of what causes might be

I have read this post and have learnt lot on how to check fluids and type of fluids used
Also my trucks brake dont work only inching brake works
Fitted new master cylinder but that wasnt the prob think its the inc control system..

Help will be much appreciated

TD24

Occupation
RETIRED (Mostly)
Please post complete model and serial number.

Should appear as: C50030 235-XXXX-XXXX or C50030 355-XXXX-XXXX, with X's being numbers.
Could have a D in there after the C500.

These numbers will denote two different capacity trucks. With yours being diesel, it will most likely be a 355.
The 235 being 2000 to 3500 lbs capacity and the 355 being 3500 to 5500 lbs capacity.
If yours is in the 355 series, THE FLUIDS AND CHECKING METHODS CITED IN THE PRIOR POST WILL NOT ALL APPLY.