• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Church job

Old Doug

I was contacted about removeing the steam heat system from a church.It has around 30 radiators and hunders of feet of pipe. then it has 2 big ac units that are 20 feet up in a atic.How would someone bid a job like this? The pipes are not wraped but the boiler has some wraping that is thier deal if it is asbestes.The big pipes are in the unfinshed basement. Would the pipes cut with a portaband or sawzal or would the pipes have rust that would eat up blades? would some of the pipe be usable? The rads will come apart in smail pieces and its a big open place so geting them to a door wouldnt be hard to do but there a 7 in a apartment that some one lives in that has 2 sets of stares. The ac unites are no problem because i have scraped alot of them. I real dont know about this the labor that it will take is hard to figure i will need some help.Then i need to check on more insureance. If it wasnt a church i would make a deal that if there is a profet at the end we would split it but church poeple are not like busnies people

Theweldor

Occupation
The Village Idiot
That is a tough one to figure out. Depending on the upkeep of the system, hard to say what shape the pipe will be in. It will cut with a portaband of sawzall well. Particularly where it is threaded, as that is the thinnest spot on the pipe. The rest sounds like a very labor intensive job.

Delmer

The pipe will be usable for stuff you'd do with used rusty pipe, I'd never thread it for anything. The radiators might have value to somebody depending on what area you're in, if some of them were removeable whole. Breaking up cast iron inside a church sounds like a lot of work and mess, for not a lot of money, sewer cast price. The boiler at least isn't going to be in a finished room. That might have value to the right person too.

If you could post some pics I'd tell you how I'd break the radiators, and boiler, and anything to watch out for.

Old Doug

The rads have bolts through so they will come apart in sections.I may have found a guy that has done this before so i will hunt him down. I had another church problem today the boss loaned his well used geni lift to a church and it biow a hyd line in the church parking lot. They had a gallon bucket under it when i got there it didnt hold all the oil it lost about 10 gallon.

hosspuller

Careful when cutting the pipe, It will be full of rusty water. The carpet cleaning bill will wipe out any chance of profit then.

As for reusing the pipe, I worked on 50 year old pipes in a church. :( It taught me how to hold the back up wrench to keep from making another leak. :eek:

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Them cast radiators sell for $150.00 a foot at a architectural recycler in MSP if they test to 30 PSI with no leak down. If a little fancy they go way up from there. I would put them on Craig's list before I tore them apart.

In hospital construction we found asbestos all the time in older buildings, usually steam elbows. When asbestos is found, in most states, if not all, it is the owners responsibility to remove it using a certified asbestos contractor. Construction Contractors are forbidden by law to remove or dispose of it. You pay dump fees taxes forever on it. Removal has gotten much cheaper over the last 30 years.

Old Doug

I could haul them along ways for that kind of money they dont sell good around here. The only thing that ihas any thing on it is the boiler every thing else is bare.

Old Doug

My cousion is more or less the mane guy at this church but hes not the pastor. They dont have any heat wright now so he has been takeing the radiators out and has a pile of them out side i am going to buy them. I would like to pass on this deal but he is family so i will help out.