• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Christy Carriage

grapplewrench

When we bought our SJ4 it came with a Christy Carriage,and until we can buy an Eaglet or like motor carriage, we are stuck with the Christy. The ball that came with it is some obsolete wedge type that uses wedges to intersect the skid line in a perpendicular fashion.We have tried all manor of fabricated wedges and have not been able to keep the ball in place on the line. I tried to get a hold of Christy themselves,but I think they are out of the game. We're running 9/16" swaged and are considering a switch to 5/8 standard for a larger diameter and 1000 pounds more in strength. I would be grateful for any ideas.

I thought I would like that carriage,and I really don't.We were moving the wood pretty good Thursday,in a loaded corridor,when that F#$@%^& ball $%$^& out on us again.Gotta do something different.

Jumbo

Occupation
retired
Christy still shows up as a business although the owner/inventor Dave Gladhart died in 2016. I did notice you can google the patent he took out on the carriage. Perhaps looking that over might give you some numbers to fabricate new (appropriate) wedges.

grapplewrench

Thank you for your help,Jumbo.
For now we are going to try wedging the ball at the tail of the toggle,using the holding
power of the quick-nub to help in the effort.We'll keep an eye on the health of the toggle partially going over the shiv in the carriage.

I might get with an old machinist and come up with a ball that works.
This wedge testing costs me about 2 feet of skid line per idea,and so far I'm about 20 feet shorter.
Granted,a lot of logs have been moved with Christy carriages,but over
the years I have seen a bunch of "innovative" mechanical "solutions" come and
go in logging like teenager fads,with someone other than loggers making hay
from the whole deal,and then the bubble bursts like the 90's chip market,and you see yards full of rusting iron.Despite this they are still someones,somewhere sacred cow.

grapplewrench

Thank you brother! Could you please tell me which one it is.
Been running that yarder and camping on the job,so that is why the slow reply.
I found the edge of power in that yarder today wrestling a fat 16' Doug fir into the
landing.Reminds me of them ocean sport fishermen wrestling one aboard,meanwhile with my son's 6v53 Barko shovel screaming in my ear.It's a side hill corridor with a few Doug
Fir punkins on the low side. The crystal ball says more wrestling matches ahead.
I love this cable s4!^.

grapplewrench

I'd like to make it worthwhile for you to hang on to it for a little bit till we get
our next yarder that can run that carriage.The SJ4 is just a two drum rig.Also I'd like a chance to come up and see your Skagit iron if I could,and pick up that carriage.Very cool,Thanks again.