• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Choosing service truck

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Here's another reason not to choose a Silverado medium duty, only medium duty authorised dealers could do any work on them. I have to take my pickup 85 miles away to get warranty work on it and nobody even stocks parts for them. It is 2 weeks every time it is down for something stupid like a broken coolant hardline or such.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
Here's another reason not to choose a Silverado medium duty, only medium duty authorised dealers could do any work on them. I have to take my pickup 85 miles away to get warranty work on it and nobody even stocks parts for them. It is 2 weeks every time it is down for something stupid like a broken coolant hardline or such.

Ran into that with the Topkicks. Had to take the trucks 400 km to the nearest dealer. The local GM dealer could get parts though. With the size of the fleet they just hired an auto tech and bought the GM service tools. We had about 15 to 20 C5500 trucks in the fleet.

Walker1

I used to run around in the f550s. Last one was maybe 2006. Back then we bought 19,500 pounds trucks to avoid the commercial licensing and log book stuff. Not sure if you can do the same thing simply by registering them that way or not. My trucks were at 19,499 pounds from the day I got them on. That poor powerstroke couldn’t hardly move it. I should have just installed an on/off switch instead of a throttle. Went through 3 allison transmissions in under a hundred thousand miles. Lots of injector o-rings, valve cover wiring harnesses, and a full set of brakes at least every third service.

Truck Shop

The Ag company I worked for 18 years ago had 450 SD's and some Topkicks. Piles they were, Clutches, transmissions, brakes you name it it was constant. I bought 11 FL70's with 8.3's
and air brakes for field set-up service rigs. No more clutches, transmissions or brake issues, the cost of operating fell like a rock. Plus the tires lasted way longer with 22.5's.
The towing and stopping wasn't a issue anymore, and those trucks didn't burn much more fuel to get the same job done. That same company is still running those FL70's today and I
bought them used with 100,000 to 125,000 miles on them.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Previous Utility employer does NOT want to pay for Drivers License for every mechanic or operator so hangs with light 3/4 or 1/2 ton trucks, Installs a bolt thru the factory hitch box and welds a nut on it so cannot be used at all to tow. Bit them a hundred ways from Sunday in not having capabilities and having to hire it done while the trucks trash out in two to three years shotgunned.

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
Thanks guys. I need to choose a welder for it but figure a 325 Miller.
Paystar is home & I will be replacing bearings in the middle drum late this week.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
If I was a daily user and running wire and gouging might even consider a heavier machine? I am not familiar with the new product line of blue though.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
I know less about the Lincs. I followed the Hobart and Millerproduct line well till few years ago and kind of lost interest.as I really don't need more machines. I talk to a Carney had new TB on the truck and said it was a beaut but that in his biz he wouldn't get the suitcase again as it was taking space and fell back to rods, cost lots extra to ride.
If I was welding like a bat from he'll would have feeder with hi impact Innershield. I am more familiar with them on 600A machine though. Super good for big vert and overhead. For smaller incidental rods are easier to handle and like 6010/6011 for repairs and gap fill and use of 1/8.
A side benefit of a TB is can add a Maxstar and use 2 machines with 1 engine, nice for fab. Can use the Max as a remote for fussy little work too.

Sberry

Occupation
Farmer
Big heavy truck is good to carry big bottles to support heating tips too. serv tr side view.JPG if I was working logging would have bigger gas or hook 2 together. I got all enclosed too. It doesn't get used a lot, modern equipment can do most of it with common pickup today and my own stuff isn't broke stuff needs field repair.

JLarson

Occupation
Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
I really liked the 330mpx I played with at the welding store the other day. They claim you can pressure wash the screen lol. I may get one for my rig and demote my current 250gxt to site skid duty.