• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Choosing a telehandler, need some advice

icestationzebra

Just to me more specific my job, as I see it, is to try and be the voice of reason between the designer and marketing people, and the end customer. While I may not agree with everything the end user does with the product, I do have to take it into consideration. I grew up on a 250 head dairy farm so I know what people do and it made me appreciate the little guy. My job is to be a pessimist and believe me when I say there have been numerous times when I did not agree with a company's decision. The reason I am so forthcoming in this forum is that I no longer work for a telehandler OEM, though I have worked for several different ones.

ISZ

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Check the machine over well, especially the boom and its components. Look for cracks, welds, wear pads, chains/cables, hyd cylinders and that the boom has not been stressed or bent. Check all the usual on the engine. Check the carriage pins and bushings for wear.

Tires are new so that is one of the largest expenses out of the way.

When you look at the boom make sure you extend it out all the way. I had a Terex boom crack near the main bushing at the rear when an employee (idiot) boom out with a load while going over a down hill bump that forced the boom to bend. You never know what the seller will say!

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
Aerolift, made me chuckle. Are you referring to the fact that "slip on's" are not OSHA legal? If so I am not trying to condemn, just inform and help small businessmen from getting screwed by the system. ISZ

They are not OSHA legal

mustangmike

The jlg was a wise choice, I have owned a few pre 05 gradalls and they don't have pressed in bushings at the steering knuckle for the king pins which makes it very expensive for repairs. I had one side of a 01 534d9-45 overhauled and it cost close to $5000 bucks, they had to line bore the knuckle and insert bushings for the new king pins. I just recently had my 05 534d9-45 done and they did both sides for $3000, no line boring just install new bushings and king pins/thrust bushings. I own a 08 cat tl10-55(a jlg 10-55a with a cat motor) and a 05 534d9-45 ,the jlg's are way ahead of the gradalls but I personally like that rear steer. I have the 180 degree swing carriage and although it is awesome it is so heavy that it limits your carrying capacity, stick with the 90/100 degree it is way lighter. And the gradall 5's quick coupler and jlg are not the same, only the gradall g6-42a are the same as the jlg's coupler.