• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chocky bars

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Great thing is, these parts can also be bent or rolled to some extent. I know they come from a mill in Alabama and they stuff is not cheap, but it sure is cheaper to do it once and be done for a decade.
It's these guys. We used their chromium carbide wear plate on the last job - it's good kit.

They can supply it pre-rolled to fit things like dozer blades and grader moldboards provided you give them details of the bend radius you require.

https://www.alabamahardsurfacing.com/history.html

Welder Dave

Trimay wear plate is local and I used to work at a place that did chromium carbide overlay on pipe used for oilsands slurry, extremely abrasive. For the small strips I need I don't think it would be cost effective to have them custom made. The high hardness hardfacing is limited to 2 layers, some only one layer. I could manually hardface the runners but couldn't get the thickness of the chocky bars. It would take a lot more time and be more expensive to do. The chocky bars are also easier to replace when they wear out. Grind a few welds and weld new ones on. If I hardfaced them and they wore out, I'd have to grind any remaining hardfacing off and that's never fun. For $36 I'll see how the chocky bars work. If they wear out too fast I'll see if Trimay has some small cut offs I could purchase.

https://trimay.com/products/wear-plate/

Last edited:

Kartal

Occupation
Mechanical engineer
Usually ground engaging tools have 450-500 Brinell hardness. However choky bars, buttons have 700 Brinell. They really help to protect bucket bottom and side plates. Usco (ITR) ones have good price.

Jamie@CRD

Occupation
Mining/earthmoving supervisor
Chocky bars are excellent in extreme wear areas.
We use em all over buckets and on dozer blades, we have tried hensley but it doesnt last in the tough stuff if you can get it in your country try WEST - TRAK their stuff is incredible and lasts at least double or triple the lifespan of other wear parts.