• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chevy 3500HD/Trailer Wiring Help Please

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Last night I tried hooking up my uncles equipment trailer to our Chevy dump. The trailer lights did not work. OK, I looked under the bed and found the rig job someone did with crimp connectors failed. Problem fixed for the trailer.
Now I have no turn signals, and when you hit the brakes the front turn signals light up?:pointhead I never touched any wiring other then hooking up the trailer connector and replacing a left tail light bulb.
I disconnected the whole harness to the rear of the truck (tail/brake/bed lights) and I'm still getting the front turn signals acting like brake lights. So I figured the same guy probable jimmy rigged the brake controller wiring and that was my issue. It's now totally disconnected and it did not solve the problem. Relays and fuses you say? Switched every one out with our dually the same year and they worked perfectly in the other truck.:Banghead
I know electrical issues are everyones favorites especially when it comes to solving them over the phone or on line without actually being there, but if anyone has any ideas or long shots (other then burning it or leaving the keys in it) I'm game to try it. I've been all over this thing with a test light and have run out of ideas. :Banghead:pointhead:beatsme

Attachments

• E.jpg
    E.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 835

Komatsu 150

Someone has confused the back turn signal wires with the front ones. If you have completely disconnected the brake controller this could be anywhere starting at the turn signal switch. With a modern truck all these connections are in factory plugs so look for patches SkotchLocks etc. With the old add on turn signal switches these wires got confused all the time

John DiMartino

Super Moderator
Occupation
Greenskeeper/mechanic
Any chance you have the brake wires touching the turn signal wires in the new trailer connector? I'd unhook the trailer connector,and see if your still getting voltage feedback to the front turn signals. i have done this by accident before with the plastic 7 pin RV plugs.

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
Someone has confused the back turn signal wires with the front ones. If you have completely disconnected the brake controller this could be anywhere starting at the turn signal switch. With a modern truck all these connections are in factory plugs so look for patches SkotchLocks etc. With the old add on turn signal switches these wires got confused all the time
I think that is my only option left start looking under the dash, hood and truck for patches etc. that is today's project.

Any chance you have the brake wires touching the turn signal wires in the new trailer connector? I'd unhook the trailer connector,and see if your still getting voltage feedback to the front turn signals. i have done this by accident before with the plastic 7 pin RV plugs.
I was thinking the same thing and tried it last night, and it made no difference. Thanks for your input guys.

brynbaily

Occupation
Equipment Operator
:update Found my problem in the dash and the bed. It was the bed-up safety switch/lights/wiring deal. I'd like to know how many beers the guy that wired that truck drank when he installed it. There were wires tied in to the lights that were just spliced in and wrapped around bare wires then waded up with electrical tape!:pointhead Classic stuff I tell ya. Needless to say I will be rewiring everything my way tomorrow with a new RV plug and wires. Thanks all for you input. :)