• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cherry here.

JohnnyCarcinogen

Occupation
Trash Monkey
Hi.

I'm a "Heavy Equipment Technician II" with a municipal landfill. I have 3 years of OTJ experience at my job, plus an Associates paid for by the tax payer (mmmmm, GI Bill) in Diesel Technology. I enjoy the hell out of my job turning wrenches on trash equipment, hate operators for being negligent, and have used this forum as a resource to help me figure small problems out at work. I figured I probably should make an account just in case someone asks a question about tarp machines, tippers, Cat 836 series compactors, and the M2A2 Bradley.

JohnnyCarcinogen

Occupation
Trash Monkey
That's a good spread of experience. Welcome.
I'd not call it that. The place I'm working at is a 2nd retirement. I used to be an 11B (heavy mech) in the army. At some point, going to mental health resulted in a medical retirement, and I eventually ended up taking tech school courses (thanks for paying your taxes) that got me a "diesel tech" degree. I'm now a "tech" (cough, parts changer) at a landfill, mostly because the director of solid waste and I used to be in the same Everquest guild 20 years ago. Pretty lame, but it helps pay the bills and is setting me up for a 2nd retirement.

Delmer

Welcome.

There's nothing wrong with changing parts, as long as you get the right one eventually. Don't forget how hard it is to find people to show up at a landfill and crawl under that stuff, and have half a brain that they'll USE. Be thankful for the job and try your best, but don't forget...