• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Check your work and others too

Truck Shop

Yesterday one of our tractors was brought home from a dealer that had warranty work done. DD-16, the cylinder
head had to be replaced because of valve issues {common problem with the DD15}. Anyway Jeff the shop #2 grease
monkey went and picked it up from the dealer and parked it by the shop where I told him to leave it so we could check
it over today/this morning.
He drove it in the shop and I thought I could smell something burning. Raised the hood and started looking/checking
the work that was done, could still smell something like rubber burning. And noticed the alternator, a/c and water pump
belt was cooking. So cut the belts off and started checking the tensioner and idler pulleys. The top idler pulley was locked
up. So removed it and it spun-no bearing issues. Bolted it back on finger tight and it locked up. {It's hard to see in the area
of this pulley} slightly loosened it turned. Got a mirror-The new cylinder had a casting edge that comes to a point right at outer diameter of pulley. Used a air file and all was good. We were credited the pulley, belt and labor.
But Jeff drove 90 miles with it locked up, the only reason it made it that far is that idler pulley barely deflects the
belt-only a 1/2" of surface contact on the idler.
It could have been a bad failure.