• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

cheap solution to changing from deere to cat controls WILL IT WORK??

x-ka-v8

Occupation
Landfill equipment operator
My father in-law has a Hitachi 120 and he runs deere controls (silly farmer), and I have an idea I think may work instead of a pricey switch. I want to take the hoses that come out from the pilot controls right below the cab and put quick attach couplers on them so that I can just switch a few hoses around an
wa-la! no more incredible operating frustration!
will it work?

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Yes It Will !!! ….. but that could be a PITA too …. having to remove the belly pan under the cab every time you want to go back to goofy SAE controls …. LMAO ….

BE careful …. VERY Careful Who or What you are calling a Silly Farmer !!! ….. This topic on ISO vs SAE has been beat to death here on HEF ….. there is nothing WRONG with either one of the patterns, it's all in what you originally learned ……

Another option what I have installed in my own machine, for the less fortunate SAE operators, LOL, there is a small kit available from Norcan Hydraulics in Kamloops (250-372-3933 … ask for sales and Pascal) ….. I think I paid around $300 for it …. it involves 2 small elec 24v hyd switch's that mount under the Cab where all the pilot control lines are … you will need a few JIC ftgs and a 2 position rocker switch you can get over the counter from LORDCO, that you can mount in the cab behind your right arm rest, chances are there is already a rocker switch knock out cap there already as my CAT was ... then its out of harms way to prevent bumping the switch in the middle of an operation cycle ….. I am thinking this is a more feasible way of switching back and forth as you could have a small amount of oil leaking from the Farmer quick disconnects attracting contamination (dirt) ….. I know of a Logger friend that has these kits installed in all of his Bunchers & Processors, because He as I learned ISO 30+ years ago ….. the newer trend is going more and more to the SAE pattern …. WHY ??? who knows, who cares !!! … a lot better than the pattern I discovered while demoing a Grey Market Komatsu @ SMS's yard ….. LIKE WTF is that !!! some asians idea of a Sick Joke !!! …….. LOL …… Good-luck ! ….. Cheers ! ….. OBTW ! …. welcome to the Great HEF Forums …. Fellow Canuckistonian & BCite !!!! ….LMFAO

Last edited:

Shimmy1

I personally run SAE. Since I've only been part of this group for a little while, I haven't been part of the debate. Don't want to start one either. My 2¢, as if anyone cares, is I believe SAE is more suited to grade work, and ISO for mass excavation. Hope I don't start anything. As for the pattern change, I would be ok with quick couplers. But those valves sure are nice.

excavator

Craft. I've installed a kit like you talk about but afterwards began to think about it. If your machine is set up with SAE pattern, and you install this electric pattern changer, what happens if you are operating in ISO mode and you blow the fuse supplying power to the electric valve? I believe it will revert back to SAE pattern since the electricity is holding it in ISO mode. And if that were to happen while you were doing a precision job, maybe with men in the trench I think you would have a possible lawsuit on your hands. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Do you mean these style quick connects?

View attachment 134636

I'm thinking he meant the 'ol fashioned ones … sometimes known as "pioneer couplers" … or??? …. the ones with either the ball-check in the ends or a pointed release pet-valve in the ends (commonly found in the farm tractor industry) ……… and not the Flat-Faced ones in your Pic as the can become very pricey up here north of the 49th ….

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
Craft. I've installed a kit like you talk about but afterwards began to think about it. If your machine is set up with SAE pattern, and you install this electric pattern changer, what happens if you are operating in ISO mode and you blow the fuse supplying power to the electric valve? I believe it will revert back to SAE pattern since the electricity is holding it in ISO mode. And if that were to happen while you were doing a precision job, maybe with men in the trench I think you would have a possible lawsuit on your hands. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I hear you As I set mine up to be in the ISO position without power to the solenoid ….. it's only a matter of the hose routing to hook-up the hoses of the pattern you run most often as the open continuous flow thru …...

uffex

Occupation
Admin
excavator
That is a interesting point you raise, i suggest a couple of possible solutions - most machines today have a cabin control lock out lever, in most case,s this will be a solenoid valve and switch. Wiring a relay controlled by the power supply to the pattern changer would result in the controls going dead in the event of a power failure. One other solution would be to wire a flashing diode into the system warning in the event of failure.
kInd regards
Uffex

x-ka-v8

Occupation
Thx for your input CRAFT, yea I figured the SAE vs. ISO controls may stir the pot a little I definitely mean no harm by it just waving my flag ;) Re: the quick disconnects under the cab, I cant seem to find a pic on the net right now of the same hitachi that my pa-inlaw has but there is no belly pan to remove as far as I can remember that's the main reason I noticed and thought of that solution... I chatted this idea over with the very wise heavy duty mech at my work and he mentioned the same thing with about contamination (especially contamination in the pilot system)... The last thing I want to do is wreck his machine!!!! $300 sounds much better than the $900 option I was pitched! I will look into that thx again.

x-ka-v8

Occupation
THIS IS GREAT!!! that's look like everything I need to get the job done!! I mean it will take some convincing for him to let me start wrenchin on his machine but this takes away the most difficult part of the job thx Uffex

x-ka-v8

Occupation
I have never seen that style of quick disconnect, I was just thinking the simple type like you have on a loader with a grapple that you can change buckets on.

Shimmy1

They are just standard flat-face couplers. They were created because they allow minimal contamination if they are at least wiped off.

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
They are just standard flat-face couplers. They were created because they allow minimal contamination if they are at least wiped off.

That's what I'd posted too ….. but as I said They Are Pricey ….. the small size he needs for the Pilot lines (1/4or 3/8") Are Not Common as the ones we use on Skid-steer attachments with 1/2" …… He Needs to swap 4-lines around, that you have to remember the Colour Combinations every time he swaps hoses …. that requires 4 sets of FF couplers @ ~ $100/pair CAD ….. You do the Math ??? …. LOL ….

Last edited:

Shimmy1

An easy way to keep order........we use it on our farm machinery. Different color zip ties....1 one on top/or left side (whatever you prefer)and 2 for bottom/right side. Easy way to know where they go.

x-ka-v8

Occupation
Bought A DH5/8A valve!

I need a little help if anyone can. Any Ideas for mounting this? anybody by chance have a plumbing schematic for it?

valve.jpg

Ozz

I personally run SAE. Since I've only been part of this group for a little while, I haven't been part of the debate. Don't want to start one either. My 2¢, as if anyone cares, is I believe SAE is more suited to grade work, and ISO for mass excavation. Hope I don't start anything. As for the pattern change, I would be ok with quick couplers. But those valves sure are nice.

I run SAE, and think that outside of trenching it really doesn't matter. I like having the boom & bucket in my right hand, and I think in a bulk moving operation having the boom and bucket in my dominant hand makes for a faster loading cycle because the two longest cycles are triggered by the faster hand.

Last edited:

CRAFT

Occupation
30 yrs Owner/Operator
I need a little help if anyone can. Any Ideas for mounting this? anybody by chance have a plumbing schematic for it?

View attachment 138229

Check U'r PM's ….. Now that I see this pic … it does Not resemble what I thought it to be …… That valve would be nice if you could mount it thru the floor pan and have access to turn the lever …. that way you'd have the pilot lines at hand under the floor without having to re-route them … I would deff mount a safety shield over the lever to prevent accidental switching …. OBTW …. I found my schematic drawings f/norcan and also had recorded the colour scheme to I.D. the functions …..

OEM Cat Colours : Boom Down - Green … Boom Up - Orange … Stick Out - Red … Stick In - Blue (This is the default "SAE") ….

To make it "ISO" : Boom Down = Green to Red … Boom Up = Orange - Blue … Stick Out = Red - Green … Stick In = Blue - Orange

As seen under the cab pilot lines marked with coloured Bands …. you may find the same Bands marking on the main valve Body Pilot Spools ….

Last edited: