• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Changing out bucket teeth first time.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Once you get the tooth removed you'll then find the pin protruding from the tooth adapter about 1/4 to 3/8" on top side and bottom side. You can now take a hammer to the pin and whack it to knock it loose, then simply drive it out with a steel rod or punch.

Shimmy1

I'm guessing that torch is going to need to warm up the adapter substantially before that pin is going to move. However, after warming up the adapter, let it cool completely before hammering on the pin. You will probably end up riveting it anyway as corroded in as they look.

Tinkerer

You don't need to use surgical precision when cutting that slot. You can blow out a good sized slot on the back of the tooth.
Wear safety glasses when you are pounding on those teeth !!
You will never regret wearing them but you will if you don't and suffer an eye injury.
I speak from a personal experience.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
A two pound hammer is not enough either. Start by getting a four pound short handled Oregon head and and longer handled eight pounder. After you make the cut, get a long piece of bar that's pretty thick. One inch or more. Situate the bucket all the way open and set it down on a block and then put the bar on the bucket side of the tooth and hit the bar with at least the four pound hammer. You need to be away from the tooth because they can flake off and make shrapnel. I have a photo somewhere showing the slice that went halfway through my leg.

The teeth get tight on the shanks over time because they pack up with dirt. A lot of times you can loosen the tooth on the shank by slamming the end away from the bucket on the flat. The vibration sometimes loosens the dirt just enough the release the tooth.

Welder Dave

You don't need full cutting pressure with the torch. For someone inexperienced the shank could be cut into when cutting the tooth. What you can do is angle the torch so it's almost parallel with the tooth and starting at the top edge slowly tilt the torch down to make a cut toward the pin. Heating the top of the tooth 1st will help. If the shank gets gouged a bit don't worry it can be welded and ground back to size. If the pins have rubber inserts try heating the pins red hot. It should melt any rubber and they'd pound out easier. A long handle sledge hammer would be an advantage.

Rickyb1968

Buddy showed up with his cutting torch. When he was getting everything ready he pulled out a big punch and hammer and said give it a whack. To my surprise the pin moved. We drove them all out. I then fixed a pot of coffee and we visited a while.

I use this excavator 90% in a gravel pit so I now need to figure out what teeth to go back with? Would you guys go back with what I have or go to rock teeth. Thanks Ricky360AAC38-74BC-4250-8D28-45F40542FA5D.jpeg

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The shanks look pretty good. That makes it easy to change the teeth.

materthegreater

I'm surprised the teeth were so rusty for a gravel pit machine. Is it a commercial pit or just for your own use?

Rickyb1968

It’s my own personal pit. I don’t think the teeth were too rusted. I had been digging in mud getting my nephew moved in a trailer and hadn’t cleaned them up. I think what you guys were thinking was rust was actually dried mud.

materthegreater

It’s my own personal pit. I don’t think the teeth were too rusted. I had been digging in mud getting my nephew moved in a trailer and hadn’t cleaned them up. I think what you guys were thinking was rust was actually dried mud.

Oh, that makes sense. Glad you were able to get them off without much trouble

Rickyb1968

Waiting on oil filters to get here. That’s been a circus act from the get go. While I’m waiting just wanting to make sure what I’m seeing out of these new teeth are ok, which are the same ones as the old ones. The old ones I took off were stuck on tight. I mean you couldn’t move them tight. These new teeth are loose on there. I can grab them and wiggle them. I have yet to dig with them because I’m waiting on oil filters. Do all new ones have this wiggle and tighten up with dirt and such getting into the nooks and crannies? This is all new to me.