• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Changing out bucket teeth first time.

Rickyb1968

FB99F5E9-6BFE-43D0-92AD-6A7F3EB30E67.jpeg 28A93DEF-A995-4910-9C76-F2485981B157.jpeg FB99F5E9-6BFE-43D0-92AD-6A7F3EB30E67.jpeg I have a Hendrix bucket and need to change the teeth out. The pin at the top measure’s 5/8 wide and about 3/4 long. Any advice on driving these out. What size punch should I use. I have a 2lb hammer so hopefully this is enough.

skyking1

give it a couple of whacks. If that does not move it, apply the hot wrench to it. Once you get started you can lick that pin out of there with no harm to the shank.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Kinda looks like Esco Conical teeth. Since you're doing replacement, don't bother with the pins yet, instead, take a torch and cut the tooth material directly behind the pin, the part of the tooth that retains the pin, make a slot slightly wider than the pin, you'll have to do this on the top and bottom of the tooth. Once you do that, beat the hell out of the tooth and knock it off of the adapter, then deal with the pin.

Rickyb1968

Can someone show me a photo of what those pins will look like? Do they have a rubber cushion.
I have a small bernzomatic torch but that’s it.

Rickyb1968

The guy that sold me this excavator said those pins have two pieces of metal with a rubber piece sandwich between them. I thinking maybe I can heat those pins up with binzomatic torch and make that rubber soft enough to beat out. If not I will have to hire it done because I don’t have a cutting torch.

Rickyb1968

I haven’t bought them yet. The place I’m buying from wanted me to bring an old tooth with me.

Rickyb1968

Willie59 I don’t know much about cutting torches but I thought they cut threw all the metal. So your saying you can cut the material out behind the pin on top and bottom and not damage the adapter?

skyking1

YES!
A cutting torch is not a saw. You can cut away the tooth or the pin and not touch the shank at all. The cut happens when that tooth metal is heated to molten and the oxygen hits it and burns it away. The shank below will be quite a bit cooler. I know it takes a little faith but as you get used to cutting torches, you can quite literally cut a bolt out of tapped threads in solid steel, then clean it up with a tap and re-use the threads. It takes some practice to get to that level but we do it whenever needed.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
If you're going to own an excavator you might as well purchase a cutting torch and a welder because at some point you're going to need both, unless you wish to continue hiring that out. I remove most all teeth first by cutting away the retaining metal of the teeth and beat them loose, then deal with the pin, Cat side pin teeth for sure. Doing so makes it much easier to remove the pin and there's still plenty of tooth for the parts guy to identify them

Rickyb1968

A buddy is going bring his torch down Sunday and we are going cut the teeth. I will post a photo tomorrow after I have power washed the area that shows an outline of where I think to cut. understanding where to cut. Thanks for the help guys.

terex herder

Why would you take a sledgehammer to a hoe tooth to start with? Thats just to much like work. Cut the retainer metal as shown. Then find a rock or big piece of scrap metal and work it around with the teeth. A little time and a little experience the teeth will fall out, if not, then apply the hammer to the loosened teeth.

92U 3406

Occupation
Wrench Bender
I honestly have never thought to cut the teeth like that. Then again I've never actually had to change bucket teeth either if you can believe that.

Rickyb1968

Let’s make sure we are on the same page.
The end of tooth is to right of arrow correct?
How long of a cut do I need going back to end of tooth for reference? (Parallel cuts) Maybe an inch?
Looks like two cuts that parallel each other no vertical cut to right of parallel cuts? Or is that what scarf out means?
2079CEA6-5920-44F0-A76D-626D624E723B.png

Last edited:

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
Scarf out = remove. Remove all of that tooth material in the X in between the two parallel lines. The tooth would look like this after cutting away the tooth steel.I wager your torch guy will know what to do.

bucket tooth cutting.png