1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Changing hyd oil

Discussion in 'Mini Skid Steers' started by William1936, Mar 7, 2013.

1. William1936

William1936 Member

I bought a MF516 skid steer made by Fermec. The man bought from had ATF (automatic transmission fluid) for Hydraulics. It seems to work OK, but worried about the pump failing from using it. It has a Vickers pump. No one I've talked to has heard of anyone using ATF for hyd. fluid. He said that is what they told him to use. This machine is 15 yrs old with 3700 hrs.

My question is how do I flush it out, and will it hurt anything if don't get it all out?

Would appreciate any help on this.

William

2. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

An automatic transmission is a hydraulic unit just like your machine. ATF is a very popular hydraulic fluid. If it has 3700 hours and it is working well and the fluid samples are good I would not worry

3. William1936

William1936 Member

Thanks

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm going to try to get in touch with him, and find out more. Like did it have ATF in it when he bought it five years hence.

4. blitz138

blitz138 Senior Member

I think the Fermec hydraulics ran on ATF

5. William1936

William1936 Member

Ok

Thanks. That is what I'm thinking. Called the man bought from, and he said that is what was in it when he bought it. So think you are right. :)

6. William1936

William1936 Member

Well it turns out it is suppose to use 10w30. I have Hydraulic oil in it now.

This skid steer's hyd. pump makes a loud noise when under load. I don't think this should be. It has done this since owned, thought changing oil would help, but didn't.

Does anyone have any idea's on this?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2013
  7. maddog

maddog Senior Member

If it is suppose to have 10w 30 and you put hydro oil in what weight did you use? If I'm not mistaken to be close to the proper weight for 10w30 you'd have to use something heavier then a iso 64(??) not positive about the weights off hand without looking. A hydro 32 fluid is about equal to a 10 weight, that seems to be the most aviable in this area