• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Changing control configuration on 580

Bayrat

Occupation
Dig Safely Field Representative
The backhoe I purchased has JD :eek: two lever configuration. Is there a simple way to switch back to SAE configuration on the 580? It's not a big deal but that is what I am used to.

Don

Last edited:

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Do you mean to "excavator" pattern? Or to the traditional Case 3 levers and swing pedals pattern?

I knew a guy who switched some hoses around coming off the backhoe control valve, but I'm not sure that's recommended...

Lashlander

On the older Case 580s with two sticks they sell a kit to change the pattern. It consists of two bent rods to cross over to the different valve bodies and new stickers for the pattern. Don't cross the hoses. The relief pressures with get messed up. I think the kit was $20.00 or something like that.

Bayrat

Occupation
sorry wasn't clear

The current configuration is the JD with swing and boom on the left stick. The one I am used to in the two lever style is pretty much opposite. I wish it were the Case three lever, that was the machine I progressed to after learning the four lever Ford. But for the deal I got on this machine I can suffer with two levers :D

cat320

Charter Member
Well if you want to go from a 2 stick to a 3 lever it can be done. I guess it's an easy swap I was getting a machine that i wanted the 4 lever and they said no problem and switched it with another machine , well for a price of labor.

Bayrat

Occupation
I can get by nicely with the twin stick but would like to reverse the controls. I will give the dealer a call tomorrow, been busy this week with damage prevention stuff. :bash

Bayrat

Occupation
:mad: I tried the backhoe today for about ten minutes, very frustrating as I need to think about every move and my brain still tries to do it the way I am familiar with. I ended up just using the loader to clear some brush. I forgot how much power those things have, I was uprooting those cottonwood trees like they were not there.:OMG

I guess I should have bought a small, cheap machine. This one will have the work done too quickly:D

Last edited:

Lashlander

Run it with your arms crossed. I had to run a JCB backhoe like that once until they got it switched over. The swing and bucket are backward then but for some reason it works better for me.

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
hello, Im new here.

We run Cat controls in our excavator and deere in our 580SL. We tried to switch the 580 to Cat controls but my dad and I couldnt switch.It was to confusing.

Long story short, when my dad put the kit in, it took him about a hour to switch it to cat and about 20 mins to switch back. As said before its only two bent rods.

good luck!
Jim

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to HEF JS580SL! :drinkup

Bayrat

Occupation
I'm new here myself and have found it to be a most helpful and friendly forum Jim. Welcome to you:drinkup

Bayrat

Occupation
New Infomation

I received a call from the Case dealer in reference to my request for the $20 control conversion kit and they did not know what I was talking about. The only conversion they could find retails for over $100 and is a major job to install. It requires opening up the valve body as well as removing the control tower.

What you guys are describing here must be an aftermarket item. Can anyone direct me to a supplier?

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Ill have to find the kit if I can, I dont know the actual price, I think a friend gave it to us. It says J. I. Case right on the box. Like said before it's only two rods.

Bayrat

Occupation
Thanks for checking. Even if it is $100 it's worth it but I really don't want to get into the extensive work the dealer mentioned to me. Hopefully the solution you have is simple :D

Don

JS580SL

Occupation
operator
Different machine but our JD 120 came with Deere controls. They changed it to cat controls for us by switching the hoses on the valve bank.

A friend of mine did the same on a Deere 490 he had. Said it took him less than 30 mins.

I think the dealer may be yanking your chain. Id be shocked if it was anything but the two rods.

Bayrat

Occupation
I hope someone can come up with the part number and the installation guide:D

snowycuda

The kit number is 245592A1. It is two control rods and decals to replace the old. Dealer should be able to pull up instruction for you on the computer program through Case.

page 9-038 Of the parts catalog

Key Qty Part Number Part Name Description
1 245592A1 KIT excavator control pattern, purchase from Parts and Components, Includes: Refs. 1-5
1 1 195030A2 ROD dipper, replaces existing boom control , The right hand control lever, which used to control the dipper, now controls the boom and the left hand control lever, which used to control the boom, now controls the dipper
2 1 195032A1 ROD boom, replaces existing dipper control , The right hand control lever, which used to control the dipper, now controls the boom and the left hand control lever, which used to control the boom, now controls the dipper
3 1 E49498 DECAL control, right hand
4 1 E49497 DECAL control, left hand
5 1 198410A1 PLATE, LARGE excavator control pattern