• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 740A " CLUTCH ISSUE "

Marino77

Recently was working this machine and out of nowhere the clutch pedal has no hold back .. meaning rt to the floor doesnt seem to do any different being pumped, lunges slightly forward obviously when put in gear while clutch is pressed down. NO major leaks on clutch master cylinder , new transmission, clutch and slave cylinder ..
An awful noise at times comes from the clutch master cylinder when the clutch is depressed sounds like to me that possibly a bypass is happening of some sort .. reservoir is topped up and no leaks any ideas would be helpful .

Thank you RM

DB2

Was the release bearing changed? Clutch adjusted properly? What Series of 740A are you dealing with?
I’ve seen the cross shaft break causing problems with clutch disengagement. Not sure what the noise could be. Possibly the hydraulic booster is bypassing ?

Andrew Cranley

I am currently having this same issue, without the awful noise. I have narrowed it down to air in the system. the system has been vacuumed multiple times, with some positive outcome. the drive shaft has still yet to come to a complete stop for more than a few seconds though. Is it normal for the upper driveshaft to spin a few revolutions then pause for a second, then repeat ??

my next move is to back flush from the cylinder to the reservoir. i got this tip from a local TECH

1994 740A champion road grader. Just installed new transmission and clutch.

Last edited: