• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 720R ´88 series III, What oils do I need?

Southbus

I have bought an old motor grader but with a very good pedigree, it is a Champion 720R from 1988 and I want to start by replacing the already worn oils.
The manual recommends me:

Transmission System: Dexron II
Hydraulic system: SAE10W or Iso grade 32 or Dexron II
Final drive: 80W90
Tandems: SAE10W
Tandems (oil disk brakes: Tractor hydraulic Fluid to SAE10 Specification

With the exception of the 80W90, the other oils seem not to be commercially available in my country and seem to be some outdated types, so I need to know which oils you use for each section of the motor grader.

I have another contemporary machine, a JD310D backhoe from 1991, and I use the common ISO68 and as an example I would like to know if it would work well in the hydraulic system of the Champion.

I would also like to know if this model has oil disc brakes.

Maybe some advice before "bleeding" the machine and putting all the new oils.

Thank you in advance for the desire to help as always.
Greetings from Chile, South America.

Cesar

Southbus

20210117_235034_resized.jpg

Picture taken from behind, maybe it helps to know if you have oil disc brakes.

I appreciate in advance any help to resolve my doubts.

Silveroddo

Is the Transmission a power shift or the 8 speed? If its the 8 speed it shouldn't be Dexron, I'd have to look at the spec but it should either be A 10 or 30 weight oil depending on the temp range you're operating in. Look at the oil in your hydraulic system and see what's in it now, if its got Dexron stay with Dexron. The gear lube for the rear end sounds correct, I'd have to look to see what the tandem specs are. Follow the brake lines to the brake bleeders and take a picture, I'm not sure at what point they switched, but I don't think that series would of had the oil disc brakes. (Not sure off hand though) What machine is your manual for? That looks like a series two 720 if it were in North America.

Terry140

Occupation
Grader owner/operator
According to the Champion 700 series manual I have..if the grader has oil disc brakes, it will have two warning buzzer lights on the right hand door post. If it has drum brakes it will have a single amber warning buzzer light.

DB2

Oil disc brakes came out around 1993. They corresponded with the switch to solid disc wheels like below. Any hyd oil should work. Its gear type pumps aren’t that fussy. CC078EC1-B648-4A51-A229-EE182C2FC782.png

Southbus

Is the Transmission a power shift or the 8 speed? If its the 8 speed it shouldn't be Dexron, I'd have to look at the spec but it should either be A 10 or 30 weight oil depending on the temp range you're operating in. Look at the oil in your hydraulic system and see what's in it now, if its got Dexron stay with Dexron. The gear lube for the rear end sounds correct, I'd have to look to see what the tandem specs are. Follow the brake lines to the brake bleeders and take a picture, I'm not sure at what point they switched, but I don't think that series would of had the oil disc brakes. (Not sure off hand though) What machine is your manual for? That looks like a series two 720 if it were in North America.
@Silveroddo Thanks for your answer and want to help me. In the transmission I will put Dexron ... originally it had Dexron II, but there are newer versions. Will a version III or IV work?

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
Is that the 8 speed transmission? The 1990 I ran, we ran Dexron in the hydraulics and 10 weight in the 8 speed transmission (or 0-40 in the winter).

Fatgraderman

Occupation
Crash test dummy
I don’t remember for sure what that one had. All the newer ones had disc brakes and THG oil. It MIGHT have been Dexron in the 90 with drum brakes. I’d have to ask my old boss to see if he remembers. It’s over 23 years ago.