• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Champion 100T Motor Grader

delio lorenzana

Memories of the 90s

Then we were great, I want to show that we have eyes to build.
A unique Champion Motor Grader, which was build in the whole world.
Capable of leveling a surface road in the middle of the desert, in a single pass.
Enjoy these images.

Champion 100t 1.jpg

Champion 100t4.jpg

Champion 100t 3.jpg

Champion 100t 2.jpg

With the compliments of D. Lorenzana

deliolorenzana@gmail.com

72hayes

Occupation
road builder
Delio
thanks for the great pictures!
does any one know how many were built and if they were any good?

delio lorenzana

The 100T program began at Champion in 1977 and ended in 1994/95.
Since then Champion 100T graders have been placed in service in several locations, Canada, United Estates, Norway and Australia.
Machine was build and assembled in Hibbing, Minnesota by DOM-EX. Inc.
We built 9 units and we have had 2 more units in our order book prior to close the project.
Unit weight was 92,627 Kg.
Cummins/Detroit, engines deliver 700 CV of power.
DL

61BG

The original model was actually called the 80T. One of the first prototypes went to a joint venture company called Alnor-Rumbel & was put to use on earthwork for the new Darlington Nuclear Generating station, located east of Oshawa, Ontario. This would have been around 76-77.

ambvr@aol.com

I have guys looking for Champion M Gs often. They seem to have a good following overall. They must be sturdy hard and working.

bigrus

Occupation
Joystick attendant
They were here somewhere in Australia

I had a picture of one of these on my wall in '77. It had two blokes standing next the moldboard with a holden ute (aussie for ranchero or el camino). The machine absolutely dewarfed them. :)

Graderfan1981

I have read some comments in the Acco Grader thread and searched here for photos from Champion 100T, yeah, here are they :) What a wonderful big grader :) I hope that some are still active.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Nice monster. As I am always interested in how things work I am curious however how the front wheels stay in alignment to each other. Looking at the second picture, looking directly from the front, it appears that that when you steer via the front hydraulic cylinders (I think) the wheels could go out of alignment if one side turns easier than the other. Typically one would expect to see some sort of a mechanical linkage between the wheels. I must be missing something. Thanks for the great pictures.

BDFT

There's a steering cyl on each side. One goes out, the other goes in, grader turns. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Cat M series aren't much different, just more sensors and wires.
I'd like to see some pics of the inside of that cab although it probably looks like all the rest of them. I like the way everything looks built like a tank and simple as Hell. Cat 24's look spindly and delicate by comparison.

Last edited:

d9gdon

Nice monster. As I am always interested in how things work I am curious however how the front wheels stay in alignment to each other. Looking at the second picture, looking directly from the front, it appears that that when you steer via the front hydraulic cylinders (I think) the wheels could go out of alignment if one side turns easier than the other. Typically one would expect to see some sort of a mechanical linkage between the wheels. I must be missing something. Thanks for the great pictures.

You can see the drag link that keeps it in relation in this full frontal view:

Champion 100T Front Pic.jpg

This one gives some idea of the size of the machine:

Champion 100T Dimension.jpg

...and although I'm not using a Champion 100T grader, I thought I'd throw one in of me slicking off a building site recently. Enjoy...

Me Grading.jpg

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
There's a steering cyl on each side. One goes out, the other goes in, grader turns. Seems pretty straightforward to me. Cat M series aren't much different, just more sensors and wires.
I'd like to see some pics of the inside of that cab although it probably looks like all the rest of them. I like the way everything looks built like a tank and simple as Hell. Cat 24's look spindly and delicate by comparison.

I understand the steering cylinders fine. I couldn't see the linkage that keeps them tied in alignment that D9gdon pointed out. Must have had dirty glasses on.

d9gdon

That cant be good on anything. It looks pretty uncomfortable for you too

Well I thought I'd get a bigger response out of that photo than I did, 1466IH. It's not really me or mine, but I got a laugh out of it.

It's just a photo that I found on the interweb. Looks to be a Russian grader maybe. Pretty close to a little Fiat Allis but the sheet metal is different. Maybe it's the same operator that crossed that rope bridge over the river that was posted a couple of months back...

1466IH

Well I thought I'd get a bigger response out of that photo than I did, 1466IH. It's not really me or mine, but I got a laugh out of it.

It's just a photo that I found on the interweb. Looks to be a Russian grader maybe. Pretty close to a little Fiat Allis but the sheet metal is different. Maybe it's the same operator that crossed that rope bridge over the river that was posted a couple of months back...

I had a pretty good feeling it wasn't you but how would you even accomplish that. I have never been around the smaller graders but on a bigger one I would think that all you would do is pick up the front end

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk