• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chamber type septic system

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I'll only use infiltrators if I absolutely have to as I think they're way overated by far.They are so damn flimsy and the way they snap together leaves a lot to be desired.By me,you have to use 3/4''-1'' stone regardless,which I feel is only right because under the right circumstances you will have sink holes alongside them if you don't.I'm also a huge proponent of lots of stone anyway for any type system.If it's a postage stamp of a yard on a redo,I like using concrete tri-galleys or flo-diffusers with 11/2'' to 2 1/2'' stone both under and on the sides.

For leach fields ,I simply get it close with my loader,rake,level some,set pipe,do my patented Wayney wiggle[no copying now--ha ha],readjust for fine tuning.I've seen all my buddy's gimmicks over the years like that sled thingy,X supports with rebars,etc.--nope,not for me,I'm old,old school--at 57 I can still do 230' per day,not going to change after 37 years.New septics by me average app. $10-$15K and can easily go to $70K with a 5' fill section with all the pricey fixins thrown in.

WV earth mover

The sink holes are caused by not hand backfilling and footpacking the sides Almost no one does it but its a very important part to acheive strenght and its required by both ADS and INFILTRATOR to get about 10'' of granular soil foot packed up the sides and even though i somtimes use gravel when the costumer will pay for it both manufactures says it voids the warranty due to masking of the soil

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
The sink holes are caused by not hand backfilling and footpacking the sides Almost no one does it but its a very important part to acheive strenght and its required by both ADS and INFILTRATOR to get about 10'' of granular soil foot packed up the sides and even though i somtimes use gravel when the costumer will pay for it both manufactures says it voids the warranty due to masking of the soil

No earth mover,the sink holes will develop if and when the chambers fill up with gray water because the soil won't perc for whatever reason and then when the water does drop it will suck the backfill[especially so if that backfill is sandy] through the louvers into the bottom of the chamber creating a small void which in time develops into a larger void.Stone,and plenty of it,covered with filter fabric is the correct way of installing these things and most county boards of health back me on this.Clean stone or another well graded aggregate has been used forever in septics all over the world for centuries and now just over the last 15-20 years we hear this BS about stone masking the soil.

WV earth mover

i completly agree about the stone we do it any time we can but some inspectors here wont allow it just because its against manufactor instructions. Believe me i know the masking thing is a joke i have 6 test systems in with multiple trenchs and observation ports we normally put 2 trenchs with stone and 2 without then measure water depth in the trench twice a year the stone trenchs are always less but with this was known to industry they wont aknowledge it i think there afraid if states start requiring stone it will hurt there sales . One time we even took geofabric 9ft wide laid it in the bottom of the trench and up out each side put in the chamber then folded in over the top to compare silting in - 3 years later the one with the sock we created still had 12 '' of inside height the one installed to manu specs had 9'' - i never tried that again for fear that a biomat would form and seal the geofabric but it completly stopped the silting in prob and that system is now 5 years old and is still working as far as i know

tuney443

Occupation
excavating contractor
I've said and always thought thisfor years that something is awful fishy with exactly the point you're making.It used to be by me that a 4'x8'x 18'' open bottom concrete flo-diffusor was equivalent to 50 lin.' of leach field.Then,when the infiltrator was ''born'',now 1 chamber was the equal of 50' and the diffusor got a ''rating'' of only it's actual length of 8' which is preposterous.Certainly makes one wonder if some hanky panky is at work.

WV earth mover

our siezing is 60ft of chamber is equel to 100ft of 4'' pipe with gravel or 100ft 10''graveless which we never use without pulling the sock off and putting in 10''to12'' of gravel . im big on storage to help with the lady that does 10 loads of clothes every sat then the system rest all week backfilling with 57 on chambers adds about 3 gal per ft any way i have to go now sense i found HEF i dont get enough sleep im hooked i can bs about equipment all night whatever the brand i love em all