• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Challenger 95E

Shimmy1

Serial 6KS00900. Any of you Cat guys able to get a guy some pages out of the service manual? Looking for the procedure to change seals on the drive axles. I haven't had a need for a service manual, and I've heard they are kind of hard to get? Thanks

Shimmy1

For Disassembly & Assembly look for SENR1745.
A CD version is $365 new, paper $665. Which makes this one pretty good value IMHO.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Caterpilla...936909?hash=item2f263c1dcd:g:p9kAAOSw~Lpcw18A

Are you talking aboput replacing Duo-Cone seals on the final drive.?
Yes. I procured a copy via Dropbox last night. 4200 pages. It appears that Cat recommends pulling the final off the tractor and servicing the drive hub vertically. Dealer wants $1800 per tractor to come to shop and do both. We have track belts off, and will have fluid drained. I'm contemplating just having them do it since that hub weighs like 300 lbs.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Yes. I procured a copy via Dropbox last night. 4200 pages. It appears that Cat recommends pulling the final off the tractor and servicing the drive hub vertically. Dealer wants $1800 per tractor to come to shop and do both. We have track belts off, and will have fluid drained. I'm contemplating just having them do it since that hub weighs like 300 lbs.

If they offer any kind of service guarantee it my be worthwhile. But then there is an opportunity to learn new things to help you stay awake at night.

Shimmy1

Shimmy1

Nige, on the bogie suspension pivot on this tractor, the book says 80W-90, but I know you always say 50W is just fine or better. Does this fall into that same category? It's basically the same as the pivot shaft on a dozer.2020-12-17 12.54.00.jpg

Shimmy1

I guess I shouldn't be fussy, lol. Lantrax, John C, Junkyard, Mitch, anyone else that wants to weigh in, feel free. Thanks

lantraxco

I guess I shouldn't be fussy, lol. Lantrax, John C, Junkyard, Mitch, anyone else that wants to weigh in, feel free. Thanks
LOL!
I too like TDTO-50, and as Nige would mention, this 50W is the same viscosity as that 80W-90, they use different scales. I don't know if for this particular pivot point there would be a reason to prefer the GL lube over the drive train oil, but I wouldn't hesitate to use either. YMMV

Shimmy1

LOL!
I too like TDTO-50, and as Nige would mention, this 50W is the same viscosity as that 80W-90, they use different scales. I don't know if for this particular pivot point there would be a reason to prefer the GL lube over the drive train oil, but I wouldn't hesitate to use either. YMMV
Does 50 have the same load carrying ability that 80-90 has? If so, that's what I'll use. If gear lube would hold in the joint better, I'd use that instead. It's basically a pin/bushing arrangement, with seals to hold the oil in. The spindle is about 4" in diameter, each pivot arm has about 6" of bushing contact area, there are 2 of those. When the tractor is operating with a full load behind it, if you go over a ridge, there will be 30-40k pounds pivoting on that spindle. Not sure why I'm posting this, but maybe a little detail in the application might help.

lantraxco

I honestly can't answer that as I don't have the technical data to hand, but considering it lives in planetary drives with lower wear and lower temps that would suggest to me that it has better shear strength than a comparable GL lube.
Anybody wanna jump in here?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Regarding the EP vs TO-4 in the pivots. TBH I’m not sure. I think that there will be more relative movement than a pivot shaft on the suspension pivot, and more rapid also. I like TO-4 for compartments with gears & bearings in them but I guess this has plain bushes, correct.?

I suspect you’d be fine with TO-4 but I wouldn’t like to guarantee it.

Shimmy1

There’s a thing. How does that pivot seal to the shaft on the back side.? A lip seal or a small Duo-Cone.?
A hybrid. It resembles one-half of a duo-cone: the sealing ring is nylon instead of metal, and the o-ring is square with a tapered end. The sealing ring just rides against the pivot arms.

Shimmy1

So the seal that functions as a spring is not yellow and does not have a rubbery appearance..?
In that case EP oil would not affect it I would imagine.
Red o-ring, black sealing ring that looks very similar to the sealing ring on a duo-cone.