• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chains vs straps

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
From: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules

"Securement of heavy vehicles, equipment ormachinery with crawler tracks or wheels.
In addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, heavy equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction using a minimum of four tiedowns."

"Each of the tiedowns must be affixed as close as practicable to the front and rear of the vehicle, or mounting points on the vehicle that have been specifically designed for that purpose. "

I think you were correct.

No there are other factors to consider here though. The way he was told to do it was fine other then not having a chain on the attachment assuming that the weight rating of the chain/binder was high enough. The second binder on the one chain was a wast though. You need to have 4 points not 4 separate tie downs. Which he would of had going from one side of the trailer to the machine to the other side of the trailer.

JDOFMEMI

Dozerboy is right. 4 points. How many chains depends on the rating of the chains and the weight of the load.

Another point is that it sounds like a lack of understanding of what was being asked. I have had the same battle with a former hard headed driver before. The reason for 1 chain with 2 binders is to leave the slack in the middle between tie downs, and wrap the chain around the tie down point, using one binder on each leg to basically make it function like 2 chains.

That said though it is not enough to fire someone over. I suspect that was just the straw that broke the camels back.

tireman

If you like PB Blaster, You'll love AeroKroil

This is not the first time I've heard this,but have never seen this AeroKroil anywhere to test for myself.If it's better than PB Blaster,it'll remove not only the rust but the rusted nut,too!:IMO