• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

chains vs straps

BAD5oh

A guy I work with wants to use rachet straps to tie down our skid steers (773, S205, S150) I always use chains and 3 rachet binders when I tow them. I know the straps are rated for I believe 10k but I just feel much safer using chains and binders.

Are the straps safe to use to tie them down? I always see everyone using chains and figure there must be a reason for it even if straps are rated high enough to use. Just curious as to why? I myself am not considering anything but chains. Just curious

245dlc

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I believe the law states that for moving heavy mobile equipment you have to use chains. I tried strapping down a bobcat bucket last year but the boss said, use a chain otherwise DOT might find an excuse to give you a ticket even if it is safe and tight. By the way I love using ratchet binders too, I always find them way easier to use and if they start getting rusty and seizing up bring a can of WD-40.

95zIV

Occupation
RR Contractor Super.
A guy I work with wants to use rachet straps to tie down our skid steers (773, S205, S150) I always use chains and 3 rachet binders when I tow them. I know the straps are rated for I believe 10k but I just feel much safer using chains and binders.

Are the straps safe to use to tie them down? I always see everyone using chains and figure there must be a reason for it even if straps are rated high enough to use. Just curious as to why? I myself am not considering anything but chains. Just curious
As long as the straps don't rub against anything sharp I see no reason why you can't use them.

I always find them way easier to use and if they start getting rusty and seizing up bring a can of WD-40.

Really? You still use WD-40?

Tiny

Either will work,But the chains will last a lot longer.One sharp spot and the Strap is
" out of Service "

Hauling equipment , I will use chains

powerjoke

Occupation
owner/operator/estimator/mechanic/grunt/ditchdigge
a 10k strap only has a working load of ~3k ??

I've been pulled over by the MO DOT with straps on and NO CHAINS on a D5 one time and a 939C a couple of times they didnt have a problem with that. I just had about 8 straps on it ;)

Pj

brushmaster90

Occupation
independnt tractor operator
I personally use chains for my equitment. Chains are a little more expensive short term but they last longer. I also feel much safer witch chains the ratchet straps.

I do think ratchet straps can be easier to work with sometimes thoe.

Sparkie

My dad uses chains and rachet binders, he hauls mostly tractors, combines, and sprayers. Whenever we haul our wrangler around at work we use chains and snap binders. And I use a chain snap binder and a come along when I haul my enduro car. I've always trusted chain more than straps.

Macneil

Occupation
Tri Axle Dump Truck Driver
When I was floating I used chains 95% of the time unless it was a load of wood or something along those lines. For moving cars I'd usually use chain and straps depending on where I could hook up to them.

I have more trust in chain, but it can also get in bad shape pretty quickly if used incorrectly.

Haulier

Occupation
Project Manager
I've always used chains and I'm not thinking in changing to straps.

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
I hauled a a pair of 5,000 lbs of tracks from Long beach to Tulare, CA. I used 4 heavy duty straps (4 inches wide) and by the time I arrived they were pretty ragged from rubbing on the steel. Nothing sharp per se, but some of the angles caused the straps to begin to fray. Next time I will use very thick straps or chain.

tireman

Really? You still use WD-40?

:iagreeReally! That stuff is worthless.PB Blaster for me,thank you very much!Best I've ever seen,and I tried many,many different kinds in my day.Wouldn't give a nickel for 5 gallons of WD40.

Last edited by a moderator:

td25c

I use chain to tie down equipment.Straps come in handy for securing cargo and I like them for hauling vehicals like a car or pickup on the lowboy.As for strap protection I like these poly corner guards.We were unloading some precast concrete on a job site with the crane last year and all the truckdrivers used them,funny thing was after we unloaded the truck the driver would roll up all his straps then yell over at me "Hey you want these plasic corner protectors".I said "sure I'l use them ". They do a good job ,I keep a set on the crane and on the lowboy.They dident have any name or logo on them but I found them at www.awdirect.com/liftall-corner-guards-corner-guard-10p/cargo-straps/

Attachments

• 380.JPG
    380.JPG
    260.7 KB · Views: 3,103

JDOFMEMI

You can buy those edge protectors at just about any truck stop. They are nearly indespensable for flatbed loads.

Greenedriver3

Occupation
Fired
I recently was fired for disagreeing with my superintendent. The disagreement was about chaining down a piece of equipment that weighed over 10k. I wanted to use four separate chains and binders; and then use a chain and binder for for the attachment. I was told that I could not do that, and that I needed to use one chain on the front and one of the back, but use two binders for each chain.

I was told to take one chain and attach it to the trailer, run it through both d's on the equipment and to the other side of the trailer. Finally, taking the two binders and attaching them to the chain on either side of the equipment. What are your thoughts on this? Hopefullly my explanation is clear as mud too.

Huntoon

Occupation
Sales Engineer. I design OEM tracked undercarriage
From: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's Cargo Securement Rules

"Securement of heavy vehicles, equipment ormachinery with crawler tracks or wheels.
In addition to the requirements of paragraph (b) of this section, heavy equipment or machinery with crawler tracks or wheels must be restrained against movement in the lateral, forward, rearward, and vertical direction using a minimum of four tiedowns."

"Each of the tiedowns must be affixed as close as practicable to the front and rear of the vehicle, or mounting points on the vehicle that have been specifically designed for that purpose. "

I think you were correct.