• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Chaining the blade

triaxle

Occupation
CEO Mid-sized Grading Company
I was recently advised that several southern states truck scales are requiring a chain over the blade or mast of wide load machines in excess of 10,000 lbs, in addition to the 4 point chaining already required.
The justification for this is that "the blade is a seperate piece of equipment only partially secured."
This intrepretation may be applied to a large ripper, too.

We rarely cross scales with heavy equipment because there are no scales in a 80 mile radius of our location. We cross scales with quarry size loader buckets for rebuild but the securement rules for loader buckets are different than for machines.

If any of you have some information or updates on securement enforcement, we would all benefit from hearing from you.

Thanx

Grader4me

Maybe we can get this thread going again as there seems to be some confusion concerning the laws in different places, in reqards to proper and legal ways to chain down machinery.
In Canada it is the law that when hauling heavy machinery whether it is wheeled or tracked you must have it secured by four(4) individual chains and four(4) binders. Boom or Shovel has to be secured as well. This is a minumum requirement. Light vehicles as cargo can be secured with two(2) chains and binders.
To me even if this was not the law, securing your equipment with the four chains is the safest approach. It doesn't take that much longer and it give you a better piece of mind, knowing that your machine is well secured to your trailer.

atgreene

They are begining to push this as well around here.

Here's what I've been told:

10000 lb machines or larger need 4 grade 70 3/8" chains preferably crossed from corner to corner.

All appendages (excavator arms, loader buckets/arms etc) need to be secured as well.

Machines weighing less than 10000 lbs. need 2 5/16" grade 70 chains or more.

All appendages shall also be secured.

As far as the blade, if they are considering it an appendage, it would stand to reason.

Has anyone had issues with DOT/CVE about binders? Some guys aroung here have been told they need screw type binders, no arm type. When I've been checked, they never bothered me about my standard binders.

It's been my experience that if your properly chained, or over chain, the DOT guys seem to cut you a little slack. It's worth the extra effort to chain down properly to buy some wiggle room from DOT.

atgreene

I forgot to add, you need 2 chains on everything and 2 for every 8'. If it's 12' long (like a loader bucket or in my case, logs) you need 3 chains.

Grader4me

atgreene
First, thanks for your reply. I noticed in your post that you said "I have been told" so I have a question...
Is all the information you gave in your post (all good!) now the law in Maine, or just what you think(or been told) may be coming in the future?
Would this law apply throughout the states? or just for Maine? The reason that I am asking is that the laws (as stated in my previous post) are for all of Canada, at least this is what I understand it to be according to the NSC.

There is no issue as far as I know with binders in our country.

atgreene

This is what the DOT enforcement has told me and others. Unfortunately it has been my experience that they tend to make some rules up as they go. Although I have asked for a written copy of these rules, I have yet to see them. It would appear it is their interpretation of the law, and as we all know, if DOT say's that's the way they want it you're best to do it their way. :notworthy

Otherwise you may win the battle but I guarantee you'll lose the war. They have a way of making life miserable if you go out of your way to prove them wrong. :crying

Grader4me

Wow:eek: thanks for the info....very imformative!! I know the CVE has even fined our guys for minor infractions:Banghead but they definately don't make up the rules as they go. They have to back up (with regulations) what they preach:yup

atgreene

One of their more recent "rules" was that lever binders aren't allowed anymore. Almost everyone I know went out and bought the screw type, only to find out afterward that standard lever binders apparently are still allowed. It was 1 DOT inspectors interperation that caused the wholescale change, to the tune of lots of $$$ for those who thought they had to swap over.

But there again, if you swap to screw type without arguement, he probably would cut you some slack on other issues. It's one big game.:Banghead

LowBoy

Occupation
Owner, Iron Mountain Iron & Equipment (Transport)
Chaining requirements.

Everything atgreene said is pretty much the standard, and I agree. I haul heavy and wide all over the country, and my philosophy on securing equipment (or anything for that matter,) is to OVERSECURE everything.

The Fed. law states that "there shall be no forward, aft, or lateral movement", meaning simply to chain at 4 points of contact, preferrably crossways when applicable. A backhoe or loader wants 6 chains; 4 points of contact from the chassis, and one over each impliment. Dozers want one over the blade, even though it would take one loolapalooza of an incident in my feable mind, to initiate a "blade detachment" while in transit. That is unless the blade is not connected as normal. Usually they would be.

I just always spend an extra 10-15 minutes securing every load so as to "impress" a DOT officer, so that he might channel his energy to something (or someone,) else.

As for lever binders being outlawed, I don't necessarily agree. Every day I see a lot of trucks traveling with brand new lever binders. Why...I don't know. The last one I used, I raked across my shin so bad when it released, I saw 9 kinds of hell, and had to sit down on the trailer and regroup my thoughts for a while.:dizzy Ratchet binders are the only way to fly...

I use a set of 1/2 inch "mankiller chains" and binders for the big toys over 25 tons, like the load I have on now is a 65K machine. I crossed two 1/2 inch chains front and rear on this feller buncher on tracks, and even threw an extra set of 3/8" chains on crossways also for double protection. If a DOT man has a problem with the way I secured this machine as ALL the ones I move, he's nuts...period.

I chain rippers down with 2 opposing chains, and sometimes use two binders for one chain, to ensure both sides will stay super tight. ANYTHING that may swing, flap in the breeze, or attract unwanted attention, to put it bluntly, warrants a securement device. I move portable screening plants with fold-up conveyers, and I take the time to throw a few 2" ratchet straps around the belts so I don't look like "Dumbo the Elephant" going down the road with the belts flapping.

In other words, using common sense, good judgement and having an engineering mindset really is advantageous in the movement of heavy equipment this day and age.

Good luck.

Grader4me

Everything atgreene said is pretty much the standard, and I agree. I haul heavy and wide all over the country, and my philosophy on securing equipment (or anything for that matter,) is to OVERSECURE everything.

I totally agree with this.There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about securing equipment and a lot of confusion as well (myself included) as to proper securement etc. Your philosophy as far as I am concerned is right on the money.
I have to get it right because our guy's haul equipment, and it is my job to ensure that they know and understand these new laws, and secure properly.

In other words, using common sense, good judgement and having an engineering mindset really is advantageous in the movement of heavy equipment this day and age.

Well said. This is what it really boils down to. Thanks for sharing this information

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

When moving a backhoe,2 chains pulling front,two chains pulling rearward,one over the boom,I have never put across the front bucket abd really dont see a reason to do it.I do cross chain every thing I chain down and use ratchet type binders,screw type or what ever ya wanna call them.:drinkup

nedly05

I grab the pads on all 4 corners, usually thats all. If I happen to be going past where DOT frequently sets up then I will chain the boom or blade.10 miles for me is a long move. So a good portion of my move is chaining/binding, but I chain it the same regardless of how far I am going.

richardcatdaddy

Occupation
heavy equipment hauler,local
subject

With a tracked machine,I boom the 4 corners or the tracks.Track hoe,4 corners,2 pulling rear 2 pulling front.Chain over the boom,and if there is securement points under the rear I will cross chain there also.To this point in time,I havent lost anything off the lowboy.Knock on wood.:usa

toolmaker

Occupation
retired part time truck driver and snow plow wingm
Blade chain down

I was recently advised that several southern states truck scales are requiring a chain over the blade or mast of wide load machines in excess of 10,000 lbs, in addition to the 4 point chaining already required.
The justification for this is that "the blade is a seperate piece of equipment only partially secured."
This intrepretation may be applied to a large ripper, too.

We rarely cross scales with heavy equipment because there are no scales in a 80 mile radius of our location. We cross scales with quarry size loader buckets for rebuild but the securement rules for loader buckets are different than for machines.

If any of you have some information or updates on securement enforcement, we would all benefit from hearing from you.

Thanx

Evening. In NY the DOT requires that any extra hydraulic unit on a piece of equipment be chained separate. If you have a backhoe you would have to have six chains on it. I operate a lowboy and some times I'll have two backhoes. In that case I have to have 12 chains. In NY the scales are mobile, In the back of vans. You may even be stopped on a country road for an inspection. Also the chains and binders strenghts have to be => than the 1/2 weight of the piece of equipment.

Hope this helps. (Toomaker)

markshr151

My problem is the right equipment and I think all of us have delt with damaged equipment like stretched chains, bent boomers, rusted chains and damaged tie down points.O don't forget your son went to pick up a friends jeep and borrowed some chain. We enjoy securing big weird loads properly and the key is to make sure you have the gear to do it.

2stickbill

Occupation
Sniffin diesel fumes.
Texas wants the 4 point tie down.The the attachments too.Ripper,Blade Boom,etc.Log trucks need two chains unless it is double decked then four chains. Wish the small trucks hauling scrap metal had to do this.
I have seen a CAT 140 tied with 4 inch straps.Seen one with one chain.Worked at a Dealer where a truck hauled a Compacter in with one chain run across the floor board.He was told one more time and your company will not be hauling for us.

ftb

I think binding the tracks on a excavator tends to bend and damage them. I see guys do it all the time but the more i think about it the more i think its the wrong way!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
I have never seen a bent track from chaining down on 20 ton hoes on up. Even when you hit the brakes so hard you snapped 3 1/2" G80 chains off them.

buckfever

what about how much chain to use? I was always under the impresion that it was that all your chains should add up to 150% of the load.