• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

JCinNC

First off, this thread probably doesn't belong here. Apologies.
Also have it posted in the Agricultural section but haven't had a response so I thought it might be ok to bring it to the attention of others with some experience.

Have a MF 135 and when I went to start it for the first time this Summer, she won't run.

Some details if needed:
Believe in the 70's model range.
Perkins 3 cylinder diesel.
Never treated that well, but really abused either. Everything leaks and catches dust, but fluids are kept up.
Pretty much only used to mow the fields when needed.

Until yesterday it always cranked and ran on like the third turn regardless of temperature. Rrr, rrr, fire and run.
Go out yesterday, cranks fine, battery spins the engine fast, but won't run. Fuel is good too.

I changed the fuel filters as it was needed anyway. Start priming and have gotten fuel to the pump inlet. I take the line out and visually verify. Then I take the line loose on the injector pump going to the front cylinder and turn the engine over.

No fuel coming out. Checked another line too. Does this confirm an injector pump problem? "Stuck" in some manner? Or "Screwed" in some other manner? :)

Thanks.

dieseldog5.9

Sorry, I skimmed the post, was thinking of a different style pump.

Yes you should have fuel when cranking, However:
-I would loosen all the delivery lines, and pump the hand primer till fuel came out to prime the pump.
-Fuel will not come out if the lever is in the fuel off position.

Delmer

Flick that shut off back and forth several times, and crank it a few seconds to see if you get any fuel movement. Bleed the two screws above the cav label first. If you don't get any fuel out, I think the shut off valve inside is stuck, keep flicking that lever back and forth, leave it on/forward and rap the pump with a screwdriver handle.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Your initial thought is probably correct.. it’s stuck..
But just incase.. loosen the 5/16 bleeder by the pump name plate and crank it u get fuel streaming out and retighten..
Take the steel lines off the pump..
Pull the throttle wide open..
MAKE SURE the shut off is in the run position and crank till u get fuel spitting out of the pump connectors.
DON’T burn up the starter.!!
A couple of 10 seconds on the starter will do.. if it’s not spitting fuel by then, stop..
If u need instructions on how to pull the pump, lemme know..
It’s faster if u contact me directly..
Just click on my screen name for contact info..
Good luck

JCinNC

Update: I did everything suggested and got no fuel out of the 3 ports exiting the pump.
Fuel to pump from filters= Confirmed
Fuel out of bleed screw. Shooting about 3 feet when starter bumped= Confirmed
Cranked it with run/kill rod in the run position, injector lines disconnected, supply from filters connected to the injection pump on & bled, and fuel lever pulled down at full throttle. No fuel out of pump.
Tapped pump while cranking. No fuel.
Worked run/kill rod multiple times. No Fuel.
FYI that back top injector line connection off the pump is a b!tch. (Post pictures if interested.)

Thanks for all the information and suggestions. Very much appreciated.

JC in NC.

JCinNC

Some pictures of my Massey Ferguson 135 CAV injector pump. Mainly the aggravating top back connection going from the pump to the injector.

No swing room for any wrench. Or any wrench that I have.
IMG_20220526_185415084.jpg

That line below will not move to the left.

IMG_20220526_185505178.jpg

And you can't get the line pushed up due to this.

IMG_20220526_185421881.jpg

So those are my complaints for today. :)

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
True.. u can find out how to free a stuck mv on utube..
You’ll probably need a new top cover gasket if that was the problem and it starts pumping fuel after it’s freed up..
U can buy a mini kit on Amazon or eBay that has all the orings and gaskets to reseal just the top cover. It costs between 9 & 12.00 w free shipping..
There ARE some pit falls to removing the top cover, so do your research, particularly the spring position..
Good luck

JCinNC

Thanks all.
I think I will take it as far as removing the top cover, cleaning up the mechanism parts accessible there, and see if that helps. If not, then a pumpguy rebuild sounds in order.
Any recommendations for a "good" top gasket and o-ring kit?

Thanks again. JCinNC

JCinNC

Update if interested.
Ordered a basic kit from the big A. Took the top off and found it pretty dirty. Cleaned it up and put it back together. Run/Stop rod won't move after reassembly. Musta' got the linkage screwy somehow. Take apart....again. lol.

IMG_20220604_080331739.jpg
IMG_20220606_185733883.jpg

JCinNC

Did you look up how to free up the metering valve?

Yes sir. I carefully took the pieces out and apart that are visible, cleaned, and reassembled. Including the metering valve. Have what appears to be good free movement of top components now whereas before stiffer and catchy from the gunk.

JCinNC

Put it all back together with free movement of the run/stop rod, no leaks, primed to bleeder on pump, (shoots diesel when engine bumped) but no diesel out of pump going to injectors.
Hate, hate, hate troubleshooting incorrectly. Everything looks like pump needing to be torn down to me.
Messaging pumpguy for removal directions for rebuild.

Thanks all for following and input.

JCinNC.