1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Cattails/reeds

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by 673moto, Jun 8, 2022.

1. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Cattails are persistent growers because they have roots nearly 3 feet long.
    Kinda like poison ivy --- repeated mowing will eventually kill them.

673moto and John C. like this.
  2. CM1995

CM1995 Administrator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    John I read the article. We can discuss the law as written but the politics behind the law is for other forums, not HEF.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    673moto likes this.
  3. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    I remember like it was yesterday,
    dunking the brown part of the cat tails in gasoline, lighting it and whipping them thru the air .!!
    Oh what fun.. Don’t get rid of them till u try it..

673moto, Camshawn and John C. like this.
  4. digger doug

digger doug Senior Member

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    My point about mowing them is simple.
    1. you (or anyone else) didn't plant them, the seeds float thru the air, and the area in question is good for them to grow in.
    2. digging, burning, poisoning only get's you in
    trouble with authorities.
    3. As the seeds are always blowing in the wind, you'll not succeed in wiping them out.
    4. Mowing will fix the problem of drainage. Granted, you'll need to doo it each year, but you doo mow ditch banks every year eh ?

673moto and John C. like this.
  5. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    The county has a boom mulcher that they use on the drainage ditches along side the roads. Works well but it seems they only do the ditches that might affect some important person. They always claim they are out of money to do all the ditches.

digger doug likes this.
  6. Tarhe Driver

Tarhe Driver Well-Known Member

Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
    Caveat: I am merely an old-dirt appraiser. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service's National Wetlands Inventory maps (NWIs) provides an indication of maybe whether regulatory wetlands are present. But those maps are not a delineation of regulatory wetlands, which can only be approved by the District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers within which the property lies. Remember that the EPA prosecutes unauthorized wetlands impacts, and have sent some to federal prison for such.

Here's the URL to the NWIs. It can be slow loading.

https://www.fws.gov/program/national-wetlands-inventory/wetlands-mapper

Neill

673moto and digger doug like this.
  7. 673moto

673moto Well-Known Member

Slacker

Thanks Neill !
    This helped a lot. ... the guys property is indeed right on the edge of a wetland.
    Bookmarked this for later reference... would be nice if the county gave me this info when I went in and talked with them!

8. Tarhe Driver

Tarhe Driver Well-Known Member

Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
    But remember that the NWIs are only an indicator that wetlands may or may not exist at any particular point. The NWIs are not proof definite of the existence or non-existence of wetlands at any point in the U.S.

Neill

9. digger doug

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    Another plus for simple mowing.
    I made the aforementioned wedging toothbar for my skidloader to clear brush.
    Worked great, I use it to pull up brush, root balls and all.
    I got a large "tootsie roll" of brush going, about 100' long/wide, and 10' high. I would drive in as deep as I could, with the remaining "roll" coming all around the sides of me, all the way to the rear of the machine.

Jam, lift, and drive forward, building and rolling.

Until I got to a sloped area.....

I didn't want erosion problems from removing everything down to raw soil. So I designed and built the brush cutter.

If you rip out everything, and a storm comes and causes erosion, you've got another liability problem on top of the violations.

Tarhe Driver likes this.
  10. mowingman

mowingman Senior Member

Retired
    Use a strong mix of Roundup,(6-8 ounces/gal) ,and mix dish soap in with it. The will break the surface tension so it will stay on the shiny vegetation. (You can use diesel instead of dish soap, but, we are talking California here). Then use some type of mower to take them down to the ground. This will slowly reduce the amount and eventually kill them out. It may take a couple of years. I fought this same battle about 20 years ago when Wetlands delineation was on everyone's radar. Darn Govt. wanted to classify half of our clay mining pits as Wetlands, due to standing water and the presence of Cattails.
    Jeff

John C., Jonas302 and digger doug like this.
  11. digger doug

Thrash-A-Matic designer
    Sneaky....maybe add a small jug on the backpack with a hose leading down to the blade so no-one see's spraying going on ?