• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Cat's joysticks

ironjunkie

Got a chance to help a friend today and run a little Cat 257 CTL (I think) and the (left) tractor control seemed to be not directly connected to the response that I got out of it. In other words it seemed that it would kinda stall the tracks rather than, (what I'm used to) stalling the motor. You could not bog the motor down. Is this "pilot" controls, and is this a function that is intentional? I had thought that pilot controls were a light low pres. hyd. circuit that directly controled a "major" hp circuit. Learn me. If this sounds like pilot controls are the other brands similar? I for sure know that a tire/track is giving it's most tractive effort just before it spins, so is this disigned in for the machine "driver" (vs. an operator)

caterpillarmech

Occupation
Field Service Supervisor
You are correct. It is not direct. The c series is electronic and seems to hesitate on functions but this is normal operation.

Komatsu 150

They had the anti stall on their track loaders for some time and works well. I've had more than one person not used to it, tell me a particular machine was a "dog'" because it wouldn't pull the engine down when they tried to push hard.

Last edited:

ironjunkie

And as I remember a track machine would develop more draw bar pull with a small percentage of slip or spin at least on dirt?

I agree completely. Do all of the "joystick" controls (other makes) behave this way? Some things I'd rather retain control of, rather than "dumbing down" the machine because the manfr. expects having an inexperienced operator sitting in the seat. or just because it's (only) a skid loader!. :Banghead

Komatsu 150

I remember a wheel loader with hydrostatic trans, I don't remember the brand not a major one maybe MF. It was set up with two "gas" pedals one forward and one reverse except the pedals actually controlled the hydro not engine speed. I was at the dealer getting some work done and they were letting a prospective customer try the loader on a pile of dirt they had in the back lot. Every time he got into the pile he would floor the "gas" pedal and the machine would stall. The right way of course was to back off on the pedal when the engine speed started to drop but it was just so much against anything normal the poor guy just couldn't do it.