• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Stationary Engine Tier Information

Dennis Quinn

Hi, seeking Caterpillar Tier status for the following serial numbers. I've also included the Performance Specs from the nameplates. Appreciate the help. I understand that access is limited to the CAT database.

Generator Engine Model Engine Serial Number Perf Spec Tier Rating
1 3516B 6HN01003 2T8461
2 3516 SBJ00339 0K6996

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I think you have to go from the build date to the regulations in force for generators at that time. I don't have the charts anymore but I think genesis lagged behind truck and equipment engines by a couple of years. The tags and build records for some reason won't tell you. What I'm finding lately on engine tags is "this engine conforms to US EPA regulations for year XXXX and California regulations for XXXX".
Good Luck

Dennis Quinn

Thanks John. I have a pretty good handle on the regs and impact on generator mfr dates. I usually get hung up on mfr date if it's not stated, but buried in the serial number.

Cmark

No info on 6HN1003. The serial number doesn't tally with the test spec you quoted.

This is for SBJ339.

emmis.jpg