• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Sproket Removal (also Komatsu)

RonG

Charter Member
Occupation
heavy equipment operator
These black and white pics remind me of all the pics I took of my TOD in the army engineers in Germany back in the early '60s.Love them and keep them coming.Ron G

tctractors

RonG and Daro, I might be making a mistake putting these pictures into this bit of a quiet area of the forum? my hope is that other people will possibly pluck any of them off and re-use them as they please, there cannot be many photo's taken of D9 E/G tractors at work from the back hood of a 657, the scrapers and D9's are from C.A. Blackwell Earthmoving building the M5 Motoway, the thought is to keep the photo's in the Big Space so when myself and David Moggeridge "Throw a Seven" our bits and dabs are in the WW Cloud showing a bit of back bone from a time past, the 640x640 size doe's rob something from the detail but after the full 400 pic's get stuffed up the eyes might adjust.
tctractors

Richardjw~

RonG and Daro, I might be making a mistake putting these pictures into this bit of a quiet area of the forum? my hope is that other people will possibly pluck any of them off and re-use them as they please, there cannot be many photo's taken of D9 E/G tractors at work from the back hood of a 657, the scrapers and D9's are from C.A. Blackwell Earthmoving building the M5 Motoway, the thought is to keep the photo's in the Big Space so when myself and David Moggeridge "Throw a Seven" our bits and dabs are in the WW Cloud showing a bit of back bone from a time past, the 640x640 size doe's rob something from the detail but after the full 400 pic's get stuffed up the eyes might adjust.
tctractors

Tony, seriously you should get this and your other pics put in a book with some of your script telling about your life and the characters you've met along the way. I am sure there will be a lot who would be interested

theironoracle

Occupation
OWNER/OPERATOR MOBILE HEAVY EQUIPMENT REPAIR
Great pictures TC! Did you take these? Are you in any of them? I'm going to build me one of those custom lifting devices picking that bull gear? Looks like it would work perfect on idlers and many other places. Thanks for sharing....TIO

tctractors

Richard, I was down in your Parish the other day with the Bride, we had a few day stay at the Dartington Hall, some smart pitch that spot is for something built in 1388, the Bride did the driving so as you would expect I lost about a Stone in weight from Fear Sweats from her usual antics with the peddles and the unusual gear changes at 130mph, it was all going very calmly on the second day, we popped a look at a few Fishing Villages Dartmouth being 1, silly me spotted that Slapton Sands was just a few miles up the road and asked the Bride to carry on to the Sands, you will be only to aware of the DANGER I faced as the Bride did everything possible to run this Goat Track bit of road at around the 90 mph spot without changing gear or using the brake peddle, the rough bit for me was knowing we had to go back up the same nasty little lane home, it sure makes going to Work a treat!

TIO, a load of the photo's are my pal David's he has worked in the Bulk Muck game for years with D1ck Hampton, Blackwell's, Sheppard, MJM, M. Pierce, A.E. Farr, Beacher (Father) etc, also chasing the big coins in the Hot Spots, the tong thing is hoisting a D8H bullgear on a D1ck Hampton tractor in about 1966, David is now around the 78 years old spot and still works on CAT Equipment, about 4 years ago he was working with me in a freezing snow storm stripping out a transmission from a Moxy Dump Truck, in a flash of guilt I asked him if he was O.K. as it was hellish cold and bleak, David looked at me with a smile and said " Its all Good here " some are tougher than you think.

tctractors

Richardjw~

Richard, I was down in your Parish the other day with the Bride, we had a few day stay at the Dartington Hall, some smart pitch that spot is for something built in 1388, the Bride did the driving so as you would expect I lost about a Stone in weight from Fear Sweats from her usual antics with the peddles and the unusual gear changes at 130mph, it was all going very calmly on the second day, we popped a look at a few Fishing Villages Dartmouth being 1, silly me spotted that Slapton Sands was just a few miles up the road and asked the Bride to carry on to the Sands, you will be only to aware of the DANGER I faced as the Bride did everything possible to run this Goat Track bit of road at around the 90 mph spot without changing gear or using the brake peddle, the rough bit for me was knowing we had to go back up the same nasty little lane home, it sure makes going to Work a treat!

tctractors

You should have popped down around for a cuppa and a pasty ;-)

The storms over the weekend have destroyed the road right there near the Sherman tank monument at Torcross. By the way the Start-Bay Inn pub/restaurant at Torcross has an excellent reputation in the area for fish dishes.
Could you smell the 'grass' at Dartington? That part of the world has a bit of a rep. for herbal remedies :)

Anyway, looking forward to seeing more of these classic pics.

http://www.kingsbridge-today.co.uk/article.cfm?id=101993&headline=Holes%20appear%20in%20sea%20wall%20at%20Torcross%20and%20peat%20is%20washed%20away%20at%20North%20Hallsands&sectionIs=news&searchyear=2016

dirty4fun

TC, Hopefully the stone weight you lost was not a kidney stone, thou might of been easier on you to pass the kidney stone, than all the sweats with the wife driving. Enjoyed the verbs shared describing the experience of the couple days off. Makes going back to work a little more enjoyable, thou for a while.

tctractors

some pics of me at work

Attachments

• SAM_1250.jpg
    SAM_1250.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 621
  • SAM_1253.jpg
    SAM_1253.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 623
  • SAM_1254.jpg
    SAM_1254.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 626
  • SAM_1261.jpg
    SAM_1261.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 617
  • SAM_1264.jpg
    SAM_1264.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 619

tctractors

and a few more

Attachments

• SAM_1269.jpg
    SAM_1269.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 612
  • SAM_1271.jpg
    SAM_1271.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 611
  • SAM_1277.jpg
    SAM_1277.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 608
  • SAM_1279.jpg
    SAM_1279.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 609
  • SAM_1280.jpg
    SAM_1280.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 612

tctractors

and some final ones

Attachments

• SAM_1282.jpg
    SAM_1282.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 601
  • SAM_1285.jpg
    SAM_1285.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 602
  • SAM_1287.jpg
    SAM_1287.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 594
  • SAM_1288.jpg
    SAM_1288.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 598
  • SAM_1289.jpg
    SAM_1289.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 596

lantraxco

Good to see a post from you Tony, looks like the usual fun and games.

What the hell happened to that liner and block?

tctractors

A few snaps of stuff from the last few weeks, The first picture is of a Tracked Hydraulic Loader built by Trackson that I had to get the track frames off, boy what a tricky set up to strip, then some 5" D8H hoist rods getting new seals including my easy undo kit (Field Service), then a nasty little CAT 3126B series engine stuffed into a Marooka that after sorting the wiring etc might be best to be swapped out for 1 of my 3306 engines, the black cab thing is a Scania 142 V8 that I am working on its restoration a day or so a week its a 6x2 rear tag axle set up, the straight 6 cylinder engine has just copped the overhead set, its a Perkins engine that was the CAT 3406E in its latest format, so its a CAT Engine, I did read some place that Perkins have built over 9'000'000 engines? they must be good, the stuffed V8 is a 16 litre 620 HP Scania engine that had a bank to get up and had cooling issues half way up, the 2 section piston spat the skirt into the sump but made it to the top of the hill, so this engine has copped a full hit on pistons liners B/End Brgs 1 new head (single heads) and 28 valve guides in the other heads as I did that task today, tomorrow its build up the heads and stuff e'm back home, just to make things fun the gear box was removed including the clutch and flywheel, to strip off the back case with a Scania Crack in it, so note the back gears with the oil pump high up on the left, the Firm that is me by myself has been very busy but on lots of newish crap that is not worth a snap.

blowing it on tctractors

dirty4fun

Tony, good to see some snaps of your labors, always enjoyable to see and sort through a few of your verbs. Looks like some major repairs, in a dry building. Must be the rains have stopped, or that is how it works with me at times. When it is dry outside I am inside working, and vice versa. Thanks for sharing!

lantraxco

Don, that looks very much like a 2-piece articulated piston. Lose the skirt and, well, you know the rest...... If my suspicion is correct then it's amazing that the rod didn't come out the side as well.

Yeah, I got the picture on the piston, just can't believe it's in that good of shape.
Should have been an inspection window in the block where she tried to escape as you say :eek:

nicky 68a

Tony,one the Hauliers that runs timber out of Scotland for me had just replaced one of his big V8 Scania trucks.Its an 06 plate yolk,that he's putting into dry storage and won't sell.
He reckons she does 4 miles to the gallon ,but with the extra poke in the hill haul roads, it more than justifies the fuel burn with faster turnaround times.

digger doug

Occupation
Thrash-A-Matic designer
Don, that looks very much like a 2-piece articulated piston. Lose the skirt and, well, you know the rest...... If my suspicion is correct then it's amazing that the rod didn't come out the side as well.

I thought that was the truck Clarkson drove thru the brick wall at 57 mph.....:rolleyes:

(just been watching dvd of top gear...)

tctractors

Nicky,did you spot your hoist cylinders, the 1 rod was a knacker so I stuffed in a bit better 1.
Scania parts are dearer than Gold, a rod is £900 an inlet valve is £100 and being a 4 valve V8 it can suck a few pounds up, an articulating piston and liner kit is getting on £500, so its 4 Large to fill all the holes, I am still stuffing this motor back together and credit to Scania Parts they seem to change spe'c on things with little thought, I had 2 new inlet valves delivered today, but the collet fixing has changed so I now need new collets, possibly Tuesday???

tctractors