• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Joystick Seals

03hdrk

Just wanted to post this in case someone like me searched and could not find any more info than I did.

Been working on a Caterpillar 236 B 3 skidsteer. Joysticks leaking from plungers on 7 of the 8. Cat either wanted me to buy 8 plunger kits for $125.00 or 2 new valve assemblies for $1000 each. Only 1200 hours on machine, but as I say a lot - many times age get rubber before wear does.
After hours of research, and finding nothing that I could use, I ended up going to a hydraulic shop who is having the seals made for approx. $25 each.
American Hydraulics in Fort Worth.
Hope this helps someone in the future.

03hdrk

Are they the exact same cup seals, and can you get a part number?
I think I will see this again soon on a different machine.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Hope it's OK to butt in here with possibly some information.

If the seals being talked about are around the four plungers #16 in the picture below they should be the #18 cup type seal in the close-up. I have marked that seal in red, might be hard to see in the image. That seal #18 is part number 094-0876 and goes for a big price of $4.37 each. At that price I would buy a bag of them after comparing to one of the old ones you took out!

plunger seal.png

03hdrk

Man, if you the time I spent getting those as mentioned this thread.
I paid about $18 each.
Thanks for the info!!!

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Man, if you the time I spent getting those as mentioned this thread.
I paid about $18 each.
Thanks for the info!!!
Just to be clear the picture and part number I posted are for the 3aw 315 excavator, that DoyleX suggested looking at.

03hdrk

I am going to pick up some other parts tomorrow. I will buy one just to see if it is the same as the one I have.

DoyleX

Occupation
Lever Puller, Gear Jammer, Pipe Twister
I am going to pick up some other parts tomorrow. I will buy one just to see if it is the same as the one I have.
they looka little differnt but fit the same