1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Caterpillar Hand Tools

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Zewnten, Nov 10, 2021.

1. Zewnten

Zewnten Well-Known Member

Looking at buying a set of angle wrenches and my Cat parts guy says he can get me 13/16 to 1-1/4 for $200. But my question is are these still relabeled Snap-on's or did they find a new manufacturer?

2. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
    That’s a smoking deal. What’s the part number of that set?

3. heymccall

heymccall Senior Member

233-1636
    Screenshot_20211110-232049_Chrome.jpg

4. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Take it for what’s it’s worth, my Snap-On guy says the seven piece set above is Martin Tool and Forge products. Which also makes the Wright branded angle wrenches. Of, course Wright is a Snap-on company, so there is the connection. I believe they are a 15/30 degree.

DB2 likes this.
  5. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Interesting. 2331636 consists of seven wrenches. You can also buy 2331635 which is also seven wrenches but the smaller sizes. There is also part number 1P3515 which is all 14 wrenches but a bit more expensive than the other two combined. I wonder if they are all snap-on or not.

A couple of years ago I bought a 1272277 1-3/8 wrench and it arrived not as a Cat branded snap-on but as a genuine snap-on.

DB2 likes this.
  6. Mike L

Mike L Senior Member

Self employed field mechanic
    I bought my angle wrenches from eBay. Bought the 3/8-3/4 set and then pieced the rest together up to 2”. probably took a year to find them all. Still pretty expensive but nowhere near retail prices.

7. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

Snap on owns Williams, not Wright. Snap on is publicly traded, wright is still privately held.

8. eastroad

eastroad Member

Take the warranty promises with a small grain of salt. I recently broke the box end of a 15/16” CAT combination wrench probably made by Snap-On ( it’s identical to a Par X wrench). I think that in it’s day——about 40 years ago—- it would have similar warranty as Blue Point, which I think is 50%. Parts counter guy said it was no longer warrantied. I got my money’s worth out of it, but some help on a replacement would have been nice.
    I dug deep in my box at home and came up with a usable old wrench to put back in the service truck.
    Has anybody started a thread on how to deal with your tools when you finally retire and stop wrenching? I’ve been at it steady since the Navy sent me to Engineman school in 1962, and it’s almost time to quit saying yes to people who call me up saying “I’ve got a problem that my guy can’t figure out. Can you help him?”. If there is a thread somewhere, I’ll contribute to it or we can start with new .................

Aarons81, 59 North and John C. like this.
  9. Mobiltech

Mobiltech Senior Member

Self employed Heavy duty mechanic
    That 2331636 set is $360 here! How is that possible?

10. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

A cheap wrench and some torch work gets you 7 angle wrenches for $20.;)

Truck Shop, Coaldust, mg2361 and 2 others like this.
  11. Coaldust

Coaldust Senior Member

Thanks Crane Operator,

That’s what I meant to say.

Cmark mentioned the 1P3515 14 piece set. I think that set is the re-branded Snap-On that falls under the Cat premium line. A younger fella I work,with on occasion, just purchased that set from NC Machinery and it’s obviously Snap-On with the 30/60 angles.

12. Zewnten

I ordered them from my local dealer, they should be at my drop box in the morning. So I'll soon find out if theyre the 30/60 like I want or the 15/60.

13. Zewnten

I can't answer that without getting in trouble and offending feelings but I used to live very close to the Canadian border and people came down all the time to buy things here even with a very weak Canadian dollar.

DB2 likes this.
  14. Old Doug

Old Doug Senior Member

In the last few years i have tried to control my spending on tools it dosent always work. I have bought alot of open end wrenches for $2.00 or less . This is some of them i like to find 2 of the same brand but it dosent always happen. I know alot of guys dont have the time and some would not be dream of using something like this but it works for me. IMG_20211113_080224.jpg

John C., 59 North and DB2 like this.
  15. Zewnten

Update: they are exactly rebranded snap on's 30/60, same length even same font. Only issue is the set skips 1-3/16 so I have to buy that from snap on

pushbroom likes this.
  16. Zewnten

I've done this too out of need to get it done now but they usually end up twisting bending or something else when I really start pulling on them with my wrench extender or hitting them with a hammer.

17. JD955SC

JD955SC Senior Member

Cat hand tools with some rather minor exceptions are all Snap On family.

these wrenches are all Snap On just with Cat rollmark.

18. pushbroom

pushbroom Well-Known Member

Ordered the 233-1635 for 147.59cdn
    233-1636 for 283.31 cdn
    Be here in a week

19. Cmark

Cmark Senior Member

Cat hand tools were made by Snap-On but recently (10 yrs?) some tools of a different design have been have been coming in. Made by Snap-On to a lesser specification or by someone else, who knows? compare and contrast:

IMG_6013.jpg IMG_6014.jpg IMG_6015.jpg IMG_6016.jpg

20. Zewnten

The rumor is most cat tools are rebranded williams, bought by snap on; think proto to mac, with a few being actual snap on rebarnds, which I think these wrenches are. Now as to the quality control and all that I can't speak too.