1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Factories

Discussion in 'Other Earthmoving Equipment' started by Jim Irwin, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Jim Irwin

Jim Irwin Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,
    interested to know where CAT make their scrapers, is it one factory, or models spread out all over the US.

Id like to go and see it one day. Any ideas?

thanks
    Jim

2. cat 385

cat 385 Senior Member

they are supposed to open a new visitor center in 2009 i would love to go see that.

3. stretch

stretch Senior Member

gopher
    I think that the scrapers, loaders, and D6-D11 dozers are made in Peoria. Their excavators are built in Belgium. Are the ADT's still made in England?

4. texascadillac42

texascadillac42 Well-Known Member

Cat scrapers are made in their Decatur IL facility. Along with their off-highway mining trucks and motor graders.

5. N.CarolinaDozer

N.CarolinaDozer Senior Member

Heavy Equipment Operator
    I know they have a factory and visitor center in Clayton, NC. They build skid steers, backhoes, and loaders there.

6. JDOFMEMI

JDOFMEMI Senior Member

Cat has many factories spread around the country, but all of the scrapers, from 613 to 657 are built in Decatur Illinois, along with all of the rigid frame dumps, from 769,, now a 770, up to the 797, and all of the graders.

Dozers come from Peoria, Wheel loaders and excavators from Aurora, other items are spread out. The list is quite long.

Most have visitor centers, and tours can be arrainged.

If you buy enough new Cat equipment, you can generally get a tour out of the deal.

7. DPete

DPete Senior Member

I had the privilage to go thru the Peoria plant back in 87'. Quite an experience, raw iron and foundry on one end, finished machines on the other. They were casting 3406's then, finish grinding and hardening crankshafts. Shearing track pads etc.Building 8's 9's and 10's I'm sure alot has changed since then, maybe I'll get back one day.

8. dumpchuck

dumpchuck Well-Known Member

heavy equipment mechanic
    I've been to the Peoria, and Aurora plants twice in the last 7 years or so. A very impressive trip. Got to tour the buildings where they build the large wheel loaders, compactors, and dozers. Even went thru the plant where the 994s are built- I think 2 at a time. Its definitely worth going if you get the chance. The only bad thing is no cameras, except at The demo center.

9. Jim Irwin

Jim Irwin Well-Known Member

Thanks guys,
    Ill hopefully get over there maybe next year and tour the factory.
    Id enjoy seeing it.

Cheers
    Jim

10. OhioCATBrent

OhioCATBrent Member

CAT also has excavator plants in Brazil and Japan. CAT also sends instructors down to Missouri at the Combined Arms Training Center at Fort Leonardwood for the Engineer Military Ocupational Specialty School...I was there for Three months and i learned more there than being an Owner Operator pulling levers.....CAT spares no expense when it comes to helping customers fine tune their skills

11. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    Judgeing by the number of 740 trucks that have gone by me in the past month I would say a definite Yes they are, but dont ask me where :D

12. drewtam

drewtam Member

I don't think the truck plant is anywhere near you. The main truck plant in the UK is in Peterlee, way up on the north side of the island. Google map for peterlee, uk, caterpillar. You can see the vehicles in the yard.

13. Bellboy

Bellboy COPPA

Student
    I got a Cat mag a while back, and it had an article on the C series excavators, and something about how they were to progress into the D series. It said that they were built in Kobe, in Japan. Something like only the 315's to the 325's, were built in Japan.

Sideshift backhoes are built in England, though don't ask me where.

14. AtlasRob

AtlasRob Senior Member

owner operator
    Quite right, I knew it was up there somewhere as the originals were DJB and were built in Peterlee, I didnt know they stayed in the same town and probably factory after C@t took them over.

I believe at the main factory at Desford in Leicestershire

15. 992G

992G Well-Known Member

I believe the track loaders come out of France. The pavers are made in Dekalb, Illinois. However something comes to mind when Cat bought out Raygo, the pavers went up to Minnesota where all the small rollers are made.

In Joliet, Illinois some hyd components are made there. This is where the 994, 51 and 5230, and 24H used to come out of.

In Lafayette, Indiana Cat has the big engine plant there. I believe all 3400, 3500, and 3600 engines come from there. Plus there are many more factories scttered all over the world.

16. alco

alco Senior Member

I believe that is not quite true. The 994, 5130, 5230, and 24H were always built at the Mining Vehicle Center at Decatur Illinois.

Brian