• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar dual d9 pushing scrapers

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Thanks DPete a picture are worth a thousand words I worked in a open pit mining operation our Quad-track operators were paid .25hr more than the 666 scraper operators if my memory is right. long time a go (67-68) Our slave tractors had no sit or controls

Last edited:

tctractors

The Quad 9G's have Serial No 90J and 91J built from 1969 to 1974 with an all up weight of 79'470 Kg with about 770Hp under the Toe, the Quad 9H's have Serial No 97V and 98V built from 1974 to 1981 all up weight of 81'100Kg's plus a good chance of 820Hp with both treadles down.
Who ran the "First" set??? was it Collin Co.???

DPete

Couple pics from a book I have, note the tank position of the early unit rear tractor.

Attachments

• DD9 001.JPG
    DD9 001.JPG
    215.6 KB · Views: 1,851
  • DD9 002.JPG
    DD9 002.JPG
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,969

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
No, you call that a DD9G is the proper designation.

Came out of the west coast connection that Cat had years ago

fiat41b

I really like the old d9's i own mostly cat machines i also have 21c and the 41b fiat allis just good old dozers.
I have a bunch of different test that compared the double dd9's to the performance of the 41b right down to a cost per yard 41b wins really lol its just in my books has from production of ripping to pushing scrapers etc.

61BG

Hey fiat41b, Is there any way you can post any of that comparison test? There use to be a contractor around here that had a FA41b around 1976-7. When I first saw it I could not believe the size of it as the largest AC/FA machines I had ever seen were the 21s. They also had a single D9G on the same job & the 41 was parked right next to it. There was no comparison!

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
ROPS were not compulsory for the first 5 or 6 years the DD9G was produced. I would guess it depends on the particular State OH&S laws, as to whether a ROPS is required to be fitted to a tractor that left the factory without one.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
I really like the old d9's i own mostly cat machines i also have 21c and the 41b fiat allis just good old dozers.
I have a bunch of different test that compared the double dd9's to the performance of the 41b right down to a cost per yard 41b wins really lol its just in my books has from production of ripping to pushing scrapers etc.
We had 2 Hough D-500's with full ballasted tires that would out push our DD9's for about 1 hour then the converter would over heat and we would park it on the dead line again. We even tried to use them to tow dead electric end dumps from the pit to the shop but not much luck. So DD9's weren't the most powerful but ran 24x5 pretty well.

Greg

Occupation
Excavating Contractor
RC, I think that was before ROPS was required. Anyone know why in some photos the fuel tank on the Rear D9G is turned 90 degrees instead of being mounted in normal way?

JDOFMEMI

Greg

What I had heard at one time was that it was for better visibility backing up. I also heard that the later ones were mounted normal to make it easier to split the machines and use them separately if the job required it.

tctractors

Buster Peterson, might have screwed the first "Quad Track 9" together but who was the first Customer to run the chariot???? or the first person to put out the coins and buy a ready to run Quad??? the first Serial No started at ???

OzDozer

Occupation
Semi-Retired ..
Tony - The first DD9G S/N was the Buster Peterson "Quad-Trac", produced in 1965. Note that the "Service Reporter" magazine that reported the release of the "Quad-Trac" was Issue Four of 1965 (Sept-Dec).
Thus, the Peterson "Quad-Trac" was built from late 1965 to 1968 - when Cat started producing the DD9G with 90J/91J S/No's. It appears that the Peterson "Quad-Tracs" used regular production D9G S/No's.

According to my book, there were 51 of the DD9G's built, but only 7 of the DD9H's. Eric Orlemann claims there were 10 Quad-Trac D9G's sold. I can't tell you who bought the first DD9G.
It looks like a lot of the DD9G's and Quad-Tracs were separated and used as individual tractors - and probably sold off as individual tractors as well.

There's some good pics on "QuAD's" website, of a DD9G working in the Maastricht ENCI Quarry in the early 1970's. According to "QuAD", as far as he knows, this was the only DD9G sold outside the U.S., into Europe.
According to Deas Plant, Bell Bros of Western Australia purchased one DD9G and it was used at Alcoa in Pinjarra. I have no knowledge of that tractor.

http://www.bouwmachinesvantoen.nl/bedrijvenpagina/Curfs/curfs.htm

Last edited:

bigshow

It is my understanding that S.J. Groves and sons was the first contractor to purchase and utilize the quad tractors. I work/worked with quite a few guys that came from Groves and would just sit in awe after work listening to their stories of 666's and quad 9's.