• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar dual d9 pushing scrapers

DPete

Loaded in 30 seconds in rocky conditions, good vid thanks for posting and welcome to the forum

cb75

I believe those tractors belong to a local contractor here in northern Ky/ southwest Ohio. Got to see them working years ago about a mile from where I grew up.

631G

Occupation
Civil Superintendent
Can someone tell me how that set up works. I cannot figure out the control of the rest machine.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Can someone tell me how that set up works. I cannot figure out the control of the rest machine.
The DD9's use a joy stick for steering it has 3 petals on the deck 2 are accelerators for the 2 tractors and the3rd is the steering brakes they are air controlled to turn left you pull the joy stick back toward the operator and touch the brake the front tractor turns left and the rear tractor turns right and just the reverse actions for a right turn.You make many turns instead of one 45 plus degree turn.It keeps the strain off connection between the tractors. (hope I got it right its been 45+ years)

DPete

The DD9's use a joy stick for steering it has 3 petals on the deck 2 are accelerators for the 2 tractors and the3rd is the steering brakes they are air controlled to turn left you pull the joy stick back toward the operator and touch the brake the front tractor turns left and the rear tractor turns right and just the reverse actions for a right turn.You make many turns instead of one 45 plus degree turn.It keeps the strain off connection between the tractors. (hope I got it right its been 45+ years)
Interesting post, looks like they behave nicely as far as following. Take some getting used to I'm sure, having another 9 tailgating all the time

oregon96pd

have you operated scrapers,over here you seldem use the rear engine untill pulling out when the pusher will change to 2nd and get rid of you,kerry

Nope, I'm a mechanic. I just watch ours when there running, and its 2/3/4/or 5 engines all full fuel trying to get as much material as fast as possible. If its there, why not use it?

61BG

YA Terexkerry your right! 30+ years ago I use to run ts14s & ts18s & never used the rear engine when loading. Pour it to it as you left the cut! The old timers would blow a gasket at the younger guys when they loaded with the rear engine. They'd say let the dozer do the loading & keep the front motor revd up for the steering & hyd pumps. Too much rear tire wear was the reason. Thats a great video & would like to see more of the action!!

JDOFMEMI

Looks like fun. I would like to spend a few hours in the seat of a quad some day.

terexkerry

YA Terexkerry your right! 30+ years ago I use to run ts14s & ts18s & never used the rear engine when loading. Pour it to it as you left the cut! The old timers would blow a gasket at the younger guys when they loaded with the rear engine. They'd say let the dozer do the loading & keep the front motor revd up for the steering & hyd pumps. Too much rear tire wear was the reason. Thats a great video & would like to see more of the action!!

you are right 61bg;over here half the time the pusher has got the rear a foot off the ground,take it easy,kerry

PhilDirt

So I guess once you turn them, it will continue turning until you steer it in the opposite direction to straighten the pair out?

The poster of that video has another one of that DD9 that says it was taken in 2009.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
No you move the joy for either left or right turn release it back to center and both tractors will go in the direction of the lead tractor if in reverse the lead tractor is the slave and forward turns its the front tractor. Remember the DD9's are production units mint to push scrapers they should not be used for cut clean up or such and you try to make small turns as in the video. By the way the Operator sets at 45 degree angle

DPete

I wonder how the delay works? Noticable in the first load where the lead is straight behind the scraper and the rear still has to complete the turn to get in line, seems to make the same moves as the lead but with enough delay to follow perfectly.

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
I wonder how the delay works? Noticable in the first load where the lead is straight behind the scraper and the rear still has to complete the turn to get in line, seems to make the same moves as the lead but with enough delay to follow perfectly.
I am having to dig deep in to old memory bank. as I stated earlier the front tractor has 3 petals the one brake is for both tractors when you turn you use very little brake. with steering still disengaged for a quick second the non-lead tractor follows, where I was at it took a lot of training to became a Operator the are not easy