• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Caterpillar Diagnostic Equipment

digger12

Occupation
plant fitter
cat 3408 engine

Hi we have a cat engine 3406 down in power we clean all the tank and lines and fuel filters and air filters l sure the fuel pump this down on pressure what the best way to fix the problem ????

Dro

Hello everybody.

Does anyone know if there is a tool that we can use to change the hour meter on caterpillar heavy machinery?

Ross

Always used the WCA for flashing .. The COM'3's are not reliable .. Many a time the tool would loose connection, Blank the ECM .. Then you would have to reset everything, restart the laptop etc .. Only time I used it was on industrial engines as the WCA would not communicate.

LEE: Why would you go on TMI everyday? Only time I use TMI is to get FLS & FTS and configuration's for the odd ECM failure.

You guys not get SIS discs every 3 month?

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I use TMI a lot for other things than engine performance parameters, and I'm probably into it almost every day for one reason or another. Did you realize that complete machine test data from some plants in now in TMI-WEB..? Very useful if you're doing commissioning or if you have a low-hour machine with a performance issue and want to compare what you have now with what it was when it left the factory.

I also use TMI for parts breakdowns of (generally small) components just to double check SIS in case there are repair kits or individual repair parts that are not listed in SIS to avoid having to replace a complete item. A lot of the time I can find parts breakdowns that are not listed in SIS.

Last but not least you can look at TMI to check what vintage of component you have. It will list all the Change Levels of a component, the dates associated with those changes, and lastly the Part Number changes associated with them. So if you have a part or parts in an assembly/component that need to be specific or they won't fit and SIS isn't clear which one is right for you, TMI allows you to make sure that you order exactly the correct one for your component.

TMI is also useful for breaking down things like hydraulic hoses to individual fitting part numbers if you can't get into the Hydraulic Information System.

kaushik

What is service information system ( SIS ) & what SIS CD's are all about ? What is TMI all about ? May anyone explain please.

Nige

SIS is a Caterpillar system that contains service information for pretty much every Cat model ever built. It has Parts Books, Technical manuals, Operator manuals & a whole lot more.
It is available on-line (SIS-WEB) and also in CD/DVD format as disks that are updated every 3 months. The CD/DVD format is generally more useful for those users who do not have internet capability out in the field but it has the disadvantage that the on-line resource are updated daily with new information, the disks obviously only contain information up to the point where they were produced.

TMI (Technical Marketing Information) is another on-line Cat resource that contains information regarding engines & components (e.g. dyno test results & fuel setting information). Again an extremely useful tool for Cat equipment users.

To get any of the above requires a subscription to be taken out via the local Cat Dealer. How much they charge for the service depends on how good a cusatomer you are.

Dro

I was thinking much the same thing ..... unless he proves me worng that is.

For sure this is why I want to reduce the hours. I am not trying to hide from anyone.
And all I am asking is : can I do this with a specific tool or I have to get access into flash memory with the difficult way.

Nige

Simple answer. You can't reduce the hours. The hour meter reading is part of the ECM permanent memory (not flash memory unfortunately for you) and the only way to reduce the reading is to replace the ECM complete. It would cost you far more to do this than the Du Pont overhaul that you've just given the machine.

Using either ET or a click box you can increase the hour meter reading. This is for cases where a replacement ECM is fitted to a machine that already has "X" hours. Obviously the hour meter reading from the new ECM is zero, so the system provides that the number can be increased to reflect the true machine hours, "X" as per this example.

Cat obviously thought of people like you when they designed the safeguards of the electronic hourmeter system.

Dro

Simple answer. You can't reduce the hours. The hour meter reading is part of the ECM permanent memory (not flash memory unfortunately for you) and the only way to reduce the reading is to replace the ECM complete. It would cost you far more to do this than the Du Pont overhaul that you've just given the machine.

Using either ET or a click box you can increase the hour meter reading. This is for cases where a replacement ECM is fitted to a machine that already has "X" hours. Obviously the hour meter reading from the new ECM is zero, so the system provides that the number can be increased to reflect the true machine hours, "X" as per this example.

Cat obviously thought of people like you when they designed the safeguards of the electronic hourmeter system.

Thank you very much for your answer.
I think that it is possible to change the hour meter but it is very difficult due to the fact that I have to check where is the data of the hourmeter stored ( in the ECM ) and then set my own value in the slots of the memory.
Well I will give a try and come back to you with the results.

Once again thank you very much.

mecanicodiego98

I am looking for a diagnostic tool that allow us to work in many manufacturs such CAT, Komatsu, Case, John Deere, etc. Is the such tool? I was told that I only need a power laptop and find someone with all the requirement software and cables. Look for answers

overworked

every manufacture equipment is different and pricey, i just got cat et customer version, my laptop 1500.00 , et install - liscence- com3 3350.00, sis dvd 2000.00 per year, et only good for 365 days then it 1800.00 for 365 more ect.

tool_king

Occupation
road mechanic owner
mecaicodiego98
I use Pocket Fleet Diagnose is good .It is pretty cheap for the money for tha cat and cummins along with Cat Et,Cummins Insite and other software .Give me a call at 1-201-832-1606 if you have any questions I can fill you in more.

Jbullfrog

Is there a way to connect an OTC Genysis Evo to a 3412E Cat engine? I have the 9pin socket adpater for trucks. The connector on this 2001 3412 engine is the same layout but there isn't a slot on the center pin like a truck. We had it overhauled and I want to use a scan tool to monitor it's pressures and temperatures while it breaks in.