• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

caterpillar d9h engine replacement

fiat41b

Hey can anyone tell me if a d353 sn#46b1000 engine that was connected to a generator be used as a replacement in
my d9h dozer mine has a none spacer 410. hp
it had a problem and we have all the pistons out checking everything else out
I just stumbled upon a low 2000 hr generator d353 was wanting to know if I could just bolt all my stuff from the 410.hp
to the long block
one last question for removal and installation how much does one of these d353's weigh
in other words I want to know if service truck crane can handle it
thx

Dave Neubert

The main difference would be the governor and I read somewhere on d8s the rear of the crank is different but I don;t know for sure maybe get the serial numbers and look up to see if crank is different. I have a f800 with a 8000 lb crane and it will handle it

Bluox

Hey can anyone tell me if a d353 sn#46b1000 engine that was connected to a generator be used as a replacement in
my d9h dozer mine has a none spacer 410. hp
it had a problem and we have all the pistons out checking everything else out
I just stumbled upon a low 2000 hr generator d353 was wanting to know if I could just bolt all my stuff from the 410.hp
to the long block
one last question for removal and installation how much does one of these d353's weigh
in other words I want to know if service truck crane can handle it
thx
The easiest way to remove the engine is to pull it in one piece from the fan to the u joint on the torque divider ,leaving the dash on. this will likely require a boom truck as it will weight a little over 9000 lbs with a spreader bar. When its on the ground you can use your service truck to dismantle it. As for parts ask Cat for a parts list for both motors.
Good luck
Bob

fiat41b

ok guys
well the cab is flipped back has modular factory cab
torque is still on
all pistons rods oil pan off fan is off its jacked up to get back half of oil pan off so we could get to the mains and other cylinders
I think my guys service truck can get it out its ready I will let him know what it weighs for installation might have to leave a few thing off for that.
my crank looks good and couple liner were loose its hard to pass on a 2000 hr d353 that's running for a couple thousand +500 bucks
I would definitely use a new oil pump/ pan so it would not loose oil pick up on slopes ect.
I hope I get lucky enough that I could be able to used this other engine with adapting every thing over to get the 410. hp its currently rated at 380

thanks for the replies so far

Last edited:

Cmark

From what I can quickly tell without spending half a shift on the project, the 46B1000 is a fairly early build. The good news is that the big parts: block, crank, pistons and rods all appear to change up to part numbers used in a 90V D9h.
I would cautiously say that you should be OK.

fiat41b

From what I can quickly tell without spending half a shift on the project, the 46B1000 is a fairly early build. The good news is that the big parts: block, crank, pistons and rods all appear to change up to part numbers used in a 90V D9h.
I would cautiously say that you should be OK.
Well that sounds like good news Cmark
The guys selling it mentioned a early build they are a demolition outfit this was in a municipality water plant as a back up generator
I was just hoping the long block could be used and transfer over my fuel system exhaust and what ever else to equal a d9h 90v set up